Review DJ Mix Tour

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by -tcq42-, Jul 7, 2009.

1. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

DJ Mix Tour
    Chicka, Chicka, Yeah!

What's DJ Mix Tour All About?
    DJ Mix Tour is a music/rhythm game that features 16 pop and dance songs from hit artists such as Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, and Pink. Right about here, you know people will be starting to push the buy now button on their computer. Slow Down.

As much star-power as this game has, it also has its share of problems. The first thing people will like about the game are the graphics. The game looks very good. However, once you get passed the fact that it's easy on the eyes and on the ears, a lot of things start to go wrong. Basically, the game has a lot of gameplay problems and it doesn't work very well as a rhythm game. Just think of it as a game that has some hit-artist music and some good visuals.

Look at that video crowd!​

Gameplay
    If you've played Tap Tap Revenge, you should have no problems getting started with DJ Mix Tour. This game is literally a really easy version of TTR.

DJ Mix Tour has three tap tracks, one on the left located on one vinyl, one located in the center of the mixer, and one on the right located on the second vinyl. All you do is tap the different colored discs as they approach the tapper makers near the bottom of the screen.

The game rewards you for combos by giving you score multipliers. In addition, there is a meter much like Star Power in Guitar Hero or Revenge in Tap Tap Revenge. Once you fill this meter, you can activate special effects that affect both your score and the reactions of the video crowd.

A nice add-on to the game is the mixing tool. You can play around and manipulate the songs included in the game with cool DJ effects. However, you cannot save the songs or play with them in the actual game.

As for the gameplay itself, it's way too easy. If you do not play on the hardest difficulty, expect to get at least a 98% on every single song you play. The pace at which the taps come at you is way too slow. In addition, only having three taps also makes the game a lot easier.

If you enjoy doing great on every song, that's fine, but as a rhythm game, it lacks the excitement that some of its competitors possess.

Sometimes, being too easy is a bad thing. Just ask Paris Hilton.​

Visuals
    If I had to pick one good thing about DJ Mix Tour, it would have to be the visuals. Although it isn't the sharpest iPhone game you will ever see, it is definitely one of the better looking ones in the music game department.

Unlike Guitar Rock Tour, which focused on the band members, DJ Mix Tour's visuals focus towards the video crowd. Since every setting is basically a party, you'll see beautiful people (mostly girls) dancing to your amazing DJ skills. These girls are definitely pixelated, but you can definitely make out their features. Besides, do you really care for a video crowd when you're focusing on your work as a world-class DJ? Sheesh...

What makes DJ Mix Tour looks so good are the lighting effects. No matter where the game takes place, you'll see a lot of glamorous light coming from somewhere. Whether it's from the sparkle of the blue pool or the shine of the disco ball, there's a whole bunch of pretty light.

Light from a helicopter search light has never looked so good. ​

Audio
    I've never been a fan of pop artists, especially Lady Gaga (but that's another story for another day) or Britney Spears. However, I really can't put that kind of bias into this review.

I may not like the music but apparently, a whole lot of people do. After all, why would a genre of music be called pop music if it wasn't popular?

On the technical side of things, I was happy to see that the audio in this game was not messed up like it was in Guitar Rock Tour. It seemed like the audio from that game was recorded during live concerts.

However, DJ Mix Tour's audio is 100% in-studio. That's a very good thing since Ashley Simpson showed us that pop artists and live performances don't mix too well.

Even Adrian Peterson couldn't rush like this.​

Final Thoughts
    At only $1.99, DJ Mix Tour isn't a terrible investment if you're a beginner to rhythm game and you love pop music.

However, if you're neither of the things I said in the previous sentence, this game isn't for you.

As an experienced rhythm game player, the game was boring. It was too slow paced and the music just didn't pump me up at all.

On the technical side of the things, the game was not bad. It had good presentation, good visuals, and good audio quality. However, the gameplay just did not live up to my expectations.

Guitar Rock Tour pumped me up with songs that I've grown up with and I played that game for hours upon hours. I expected this game to be similar, but it just did not give me any kind of a spark due to the banal gameplay.

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I was disappointed by this game...

I guess you can't beat Tap Tap Revenge.

Excellent review (first MR Team review of August, I believe)
  3. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yup, it just didn't have that much appeal.
  4. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I didn't think this game looked good.
  5. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Visually or just in general?

I think it had pretty good visuals.

Too bad this isn't really a game that depends on that since you're focusing more on the taps than you are on the video crowd.
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just... gameplay.
  7. TDG

TDG Active Member

You can't beat Tap Tap. The only game that's equal or better (in my opinion) is Betarider Touch.

Great Review.
  8. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Beat Rider's a good game. It just gets a little hard after you get passed level 3.
  9. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Gewd review. Though I'm more of a graphics and audio kinda guy, I think I'm going to pass on this game. They should have gotten beta testers.
  10. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yup. An Update that makes the game a little more difficult can even make this game just that much better.