DIY iPod touch Chrager

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NobleRooster, Jan 2, 2009.

1. NobleRooster

NobleRooster New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys (and gals), I was looking into making myself a DIY charger for my iPod touch. Basically the constraints are going to be that it uses either a 12VDC source (such as a cig. lighter in a car) or 4AA batteries. I've made one of these before for my 1st Gen. Nano, and it worked more as a extra battery rather than a charger.

So, I have a couple questions.
    -Does anyone know what voltage and current the USB connector has to be running on in order to be charging? I know standard USB output voltage is +/- 5VDC, but I've read that the hardware that is connected via USB tells what should be the current, so if I knew what the current needed for the touch to charge, then I could use appropriate resistors to cut down the current from my source.

-Has anyone else had any experience making one of these DIY chargers for the touch or iPhone? If so, I might need a little bit of a goto person to ask a simple question I might run into.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with status, schematics, etc. when I get deeper into the build and design.

Also, if this thread has been posted in the wrong area (I didn't see a mods section, aside from the jailbreak section), please feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. we215

we215 New Member

me too...

I also am trying to build an ipod touch charger. Actually it is built but to me seems flawed but I will get to that in a minute.

At pinout.ru site they say that for the newer ipods to charge, besides pins 23 and 16 needing the +/- 5v, pins 27 and 25 need to be tied together with a 10k ohm resistor.

I am using a battery pack with 4 rechargeable, 1000ma batteries, which give a output current of 4x1.2V or 4.8V.

When I wired it all up and attached the charger, mind you this is all wired to directly to an ipod dock connector NOT a female USB receptacle, it says it IS charging but it seems to me to DRAIN, not charge, the battery. Weird huh?

Anyway, As I work on it I will also post here. It may be my recently purchased rechargeable batteries, which I am using in the battery pack, are just duds and I need to get another set.

Have you made any progress on this???