displaying pictures and Maps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by captainaids, Jan 29, 2008.

1. captainaids

captainaids New Member

I dont have an ipod touch yet and I was wondering these two things:

the ipot can display pictures, but its screen has a resolution of 480*320. I also know it can zoom in on those pictures. is it possible to take a larger picture, 1024*768 for example, then zoom in so its normal quality again? In that case it would only show a part of the picture but moving it would allow me to see the whole thing in normal quality and size.

about the maps widget, I saw that it allows you to plan a route to somewhere if you are connected to the internet. what if you drive away from that internetconnection, does the ipot save the route so you can use it offline?

I hope someone can tell me this. if the ipot can do these things It would be more than perfect for me.
  2. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes, you can zoom images - the native photo interface uses iTunes to get images onto the ipod touch, and it resizes them in the process, which reduces the resolution a bit.

The maps app is just google maps. If you plan a route, it uses the wifi to connect and plan out the route. If you then step through the route while connected, it will fetch the various maps it needs - I don't know how big that cache is, but for a little 22 mile test route I just did with 7 turns, it retained all the maps and was able to show me the route even after I turned off wifi.

So it might work, at least for smaller/shorter routes.
  3. captainaids

captainaids New Member

then Im wondering, to what resolution does itunes convert the pictures? depending on the size I could use the ipot as some sort of databank of pages I scanned with my computer

Please Register or Log in to view images

good enough for me, even if it only caches a small part that would be enough of a gps without gps system for me. ill just plan the route from the part where im not familliar with the roads anymore

Please Register or Log in to view images