Display has poor contrast, not good for late night video

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dublinfan, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Dublinfan

Dublinfan New Member

I really was looking forward for the arrival of my touch 4th gen. I was a bit miffed when it transpired that the screen was not ips. I have all generations of the touch and really liked the design but felt the display technology ws lacking. The viewing angles I could live with ( they really are quite poor) but the contrast ratio is a joke, very poor. If you are looking at a movie late at night , it becomes apparent how bad the contrast is. I have a multitude of other players , archos 5 android, cowon j3, zune HD and each one of them has a far superior screen for viewing video. To be honest I'm a bit gutted as I thought this was going to be a great step forward, the retina display looks great for browsing, music etc, but for video it is muddy ( due to the dire black levels) , sorry to say i'll be shipping this unit back.
    On a positive note, the a4 processor is very fast and browsing is very snappy.
  2. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I did notice this. It's usually only evident when viewing a dark movie.
  3. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Like batman? I watched it on my friends late about 10 and it looks like dfu mode.
  4. HavokD

HavokD New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is this true?

If it is, then it suuuuckksssss....

I dont want to say it but maybe it would be wiser to keep my 3G

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. niels_lp

niels_lp New Member

Would you say it's worse than previous generations or the same (just as bad) as previous generations?
  6. Dublinfan

Dublinfan New Member

It's on a par with previous generations, perhaps at this state I'm spoiled with oled screens, but it's a problem, I was talking to an apple guy when processing my return and it seems that I'm not alone in returning it for very poor black/contrast levels, great returns service btw
  7. BubbaRob

BubbaRob Member

I noticed this too while watching an episode of Two and a Half Men. Its about the same to me as my 2g Ipod Touch but I was hoping for some improvements. Anyhow its not enough to make me want to return it. I will be keeping mine.
  8. niels_lp

niels_lp New Member

I haven't really noticed it yet on my iPod Touch 2G but I don't really use the videos that much (except while on the road travelling). To me, it's still a great screen for such a small mobile device, but then again I haven't worked with other players such as those (archos 5 android, cowon j3, zune HD,...).
  9. Swiss3g

Swiss3g Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    C'mon, is it that bad? Sounds abit nit picky to me..
  10. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

If it's as good as all the other generations, then why bother bringing it up? Apple only said it would have the retina display.

Besides, the screen is still far better than any other iPod ever.