Disk Mode?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by humbert, Nov 2, 2007.

1. humbert

humbert New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I did a search and couldn't find anything answering my question.... sorry if it's already answered somewhere out there, lol.

Why isn't there a way to activate disk mode on the iPt? It seems that since it's basically got a flash drive, we should be able to use it for transferring files without SFTP. I think I've read that there's something blocking the iPod from being recognized directly by the computer, and it can only be accessed through iTunes. However, if there are programs like touchFree that access the iPod to install files on it, shouldn't there be a way to unlock it for disk mode?

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. tsinghua

tsinghua Member

Device:
    iPhone
    It is inconvenient that we must rely on wifi to transfer files to/from iTouch. It is possible to develop such a program to read and write the internal flash disk just as iTune does.
  3. humbert

humbert New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah that's what I thought, so how would it be done, and why hasn't it? Is it really complicated or something?
  4. mknapper1

mknapper1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ibrickr does this... maybe you should search a little harder
  5. humbert

humbert New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I guess iBrickr would work somewhat from what I've read, but what I would want ideally would be a mod that would allow windows to automatically detect the ipod when its plugged in, like a flash drive, the same way it was on older iPods, and not having to use another program to add things. Basically something that took the restrictions from the ipod that only let iTunes detect it.
  6. Drayshak

Drayshak New Member

I would imagine that if someone is willing to put the effort in to finding out what the restriction is, it would be relatively simple to implement a solution on a jailbroken iPod Touch.

I might do some researching myself actually...

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Rawd

Rawd New Member

8. humbert

humbert New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  9. Drayshak

Drayshak New Member

That program does look good, but would it not be better to remove the restriction on the iPod Touch itself? Then everybody would have free access to the disk mode. I've never liked the 'custom explorer view' things people put in to applications, it just means that the application only works on one O/S.

A disk mode would allow people from say, Ubuntu (what I'm using at the moment) to use the disk mode.