[Discussion]Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'iDevice competitors' started by _JKK_, Sep 19, 2010.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I liked the look of WP7 from the beginning. It was Microsoft not being Microsoft. They tried to make something work good; after all, "the phone is not a PC!"

I know plenty of people (be it here, Twitter, Facebook, real life, whatever) who were planning on upgrading their DROID 1 to a Windows Phone 7 device. On Verizon. I know people who were planning on upgrading an aging Palm Pre on Sprint to a WP7 device for the Holidays.

Well guess what? They just got screwed.

And, IMHO, Microsoft screwed up badly. Why? Simple: They just put their WP7 series directly in the line of fire of Apple, iOS, the iPad, and (most importantly) the iPhone 4. That's right: AT&T will be the exclusive WP7 launch partner (T-Mobile may have something at launch, but its entirely unclear to tell as AT&T has claimed exclusitivity for the platform).

What I'm saying is this: They are assaulting the network with the most satisfied smartphone user base. iPhone users generally don't switch: they buy apps, music and videos. They want to continue using those apps music and videos. Some even buy MobileMe. Even more of a reason to stay.

Verizon and Sprint, on the other hand, have a handful of Android devices. For Android devices, they are very good. But, I will be the first to admit that, as far as games, Android is in very poor shape, for a number of reasons. Why not focus there; that's a large potential userbase if you advertise WP7 with some killer games.

Anyways, I know that GSM is the world standard. Its a giant of a cell network. But it seems stupid to ignore CDMA. First off, Android became truly successful when it started supporting CDMA.

I'm starting to think this is another Microsoft-being-to-c*cky-and-proud-to-play-smart-so-they-do-something-stupid.

Thoughts?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Im getting a Windows Phone 7 device next and I'm never going to look back at iOS and I'm not even going to watch WWDC.

WP7 looks awesome and I just love the design. The Metro Font is just simplistic and a thing of beauty. The animation look really nice and smooth and the OS looks truly solid.

iOS has taken like 4 years to get to where it is, WP7 isn't even out yet, so its not a fair comparison.

people give Microsoft too much stick these days. Windows Mobile 6 was like Vista, windows Phone 7 is Windows 7.

It looks better then the other OS's, I mean Android isn't the best looking device operating system and Sense UI and Touch Wiz and even MotoBlur don't help that, its just amplifies the dull UI. I own a Galaxy S btw.

iOS is a very safe OS, it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary, and it isn't all flashy, but its easy to use and a very nice experience.

WP7 is very subtle and nice. It looks smooth and I love the design, Plus the Xbox Live integration is cool.

About AT&T, I live in the UK, and this is something you have to realize, the US isn't the Yard Stick. It might be available only on AT&T or whatever, but the iPhone is available on all networks in the UK.
  3. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Although I probably won't be getting the Windows 7 phone, the interface of that thing so friggin awesome.
  4. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'll probably end up getting a WP7 device as well; it does look very good. I agree with everything you just said, for the most part.

I understand that the US isn't the end-all for smartphone OS's. But it definitely isn't a small market. And we have the most untapped, unsatisfied smartphone users here, because, as you said, the iPhone isn't available on just any carrier.

I just question the intelligence of launching WP7 head-to-head (really, on any network) with the iPhone (which has a superior App Store, and will for at least a year or two).

Microsoft has done a lot to help gain my trust (WP7, Windows 7, IE9) but I'm afraid that there mobile division has a hint of stupid c*ckiness. Like the Kin. They need to play the game like they have everything to loose, until they are ahead of some other OS's.

Edit: Plus, how many people are going to walk into the carrier shop, and say, "I want a Samsung Cetus with Windows Phone 7." I really don't think many will. The iPhone has a gigantic lead in brand recognition and just overall recognition. I still have people look at my DROID Incredible and say, "It's a Verizon iPhone clone!" The iPhone is the cool kid on the block of smartphones. And I'm just not sure when that will change, or if it will be WP7 that does it.
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Great, Microsoft vs. Apple yet again. Not too excited about it. I consider it just another competitor.
  6. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
  7. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Ugh, i hate it. They have some really good ideas there, but not everything needs to have you zoom through the clouds.

Honestly, if I do get a WP7 device, I'll get the one that has no manufacturer 'skinning.'
  8. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    WP7 looks good but I think its too little too late.
  9. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Crap, I'm one of those who's just been screwed. This is the second thing Microsoft has done to disappoint me [the first being the funeral... They seemed overconfident].

Android really is a good OS, the only problems with it is its App database and management.. Sadly, you can pirate Android apps without even rooting. because of that, some developers don't want to put hard work into something that'll end up on [PIRACY.4s] 2 days later. On top of that, the Android Market is a bit too Open, so crapware easily finds its way into the market. Finding a couple great games on iOS is simple.. Android on the other hand is a mess, finding great games is like hunting for an Orange Barney [though there are a handful of good Android games.].

Random quote from twitter:

xD. Now, in my eyes, after Microsoft's overconfidence, there's only one way Windows Phone 7 will really put iOS, Android, and RIM to rest; It must have Android's openness while having iOS's proper 'organization'. The most important being Apps. while apps should be allowed to be downloaded and installed from the browser, it should NOT be pirated in any way, and the OS shouldn't allow it [AT&T doesn't.. we probably wont even see the ability to download from the browser on AT&T's version of the phone, like AT&T's Android phones. ].

And finally, customization [including widgets, installable tweaks].. HTC said they would have Sense on their HTC WP7's if they even make one. Regardless, users should be able to freely theme their phone at their will.

EDIT: Saw The Sense UI on it. its freaking crazy.
  10. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    @_JKK_

Oh yes I understand 100%, but I think Microsoft have to be c*cky, they need to be intimidating. They have been in the Mobile business since 1999-2000 and they have to show that experience.

Microsoft are taking a whole new approach with things, look at the Xbox, it was understated and then look at the 360, its outlandish and screams out loud, literally at times, ahem.

Microsoft have to take the iPhone on, actually the way I see it is, you know when your driving and your slowing the traffic down? And that guy drives right next to you and sticks his middle finger up at you?

Yeah thats what Microsoft are doing, their not facing the iPhone head on but giving it the finger and taunting it. Driving in the same lane, but taking a different approach to things.

Its like how the DS cant compare to the PSP graphically, so it does things differently. Same with the Wii.

Also have you seen what Sony are going with Move? The same thing Microsoft are doing with WP7.

PS: I hate the Sense Ui too, that was my first reaction to it lol, but its stil nice, until you get bored of it, then you can disable it (hopefully WP7 is 'rooted', 'jailbroken' or whatever its called)