Discussion: Objective C vs. Jiggy

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spoonforknife, Jul 4, 2008.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Seeing as there is much controversy regarding this topic, and many threads soon turn into flame wars about Jiggy and Objective C apps, I thought I'd bring this up.

For those of you that don't know Jiggy is a runtime and various scripts that make up an app. Many Objective-C supporters say that Jiggy apps are simply widgets and are inferior to Objective-C applications because they aren't coded in the iPhone's Native Language, but a ported language. Jiggy is the fastest way to make an application and is the preferred method by novice developers. Some outstanding Jiggy apps are...
    • File Browser
    • Sugar Tracker
    • iLive
    • iRecipe
    • Penguin Panic

Objective-C is the iPhone's native language. It is the language that all Apple's Official Applications are written in. Objective-C generally takes a longer time to learn than Jiggy, making novice developers shy away from it and writing scripts for Jiggy applications.

My Opinion

I think that while Objective-C is the better language. For people that don't have the time or the attention span to learn this language, than Jiggy is a fantastic alternative. In a short time, you can learn to make pretty decent applications, with decent UI and aren't just a series of alertsheets.

Unfortunately, the actual development of Jiggy is... dead. It will likely not be ported to 2.0, meaning that Jiggy coders will have to stay on 1.1.4, or take the time to learn Objective-C. I don't think that Jiggy apps are widgets, because if developers take the time to make there apps, they can be almost indistinguishable from Objective-C.

Post your opinions...
  2. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Seriously though, because you coded an app or what you would call an app (FingerRun) doesnt mean ure a great Obj C coder. So just because you can code in Obj C doesnt mean crap seeing how you (you being IPTM) got a lot of help
  3. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ObjC = native = win
    Jiggy = interpreted = fail
  4. Bernstein229

Bernstein229 New Member

I think that once a person knows enough Jiggy he/she should try for Objective-C. I myself am learning C and Objective-C
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know basically nothing about coding in either Jiggy or Objective-C, so this post is based on a neutral standpoint.

From what I have experienced in my entire iPod touch ownership, (lol), Objective-C applications are generally more stable, and have more functionality, from the examples I have seen. I don't know if that is just because the creators have more coding knowledge, or what.

On the other hand, some Jiggy applications are pretty stable and functionable, and some are not. This, I'm assuming, is because Jiggy is the easier language, which results in more novice coders using it.
    I don't really have a preference on what I like to use, if there is a really good Jiggy app, I will use it, and vice versa.

P.S. - Now this post has got me sort of interested in coding.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Does anyone think it is possible to start coding by learning Objective-C first? This is coming from someone who has absolutely no knowledge whatsoever. I don't really want to start on Jiggy, because it is going to be dead in a few days.
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It doesn't particularly matter what you start with, if you have a programmer's mind then you will work it out.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am no coder and cant say that jiggy apps suck. But it does seem thta objective-C apps tend to be more useful and stable.
  8. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Jiggy apps are also more rigorous and battery-consuming, because you're essentially running them in an emulator (not exactly, but an alternate runtime is sort of like an emulator in a way). Also, Jiggy is going to be dead soon, unless the developer somehow breaks every rule of the SDK and releases a runtime for 2.0.
  9. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    my dad works 4 AT&T and he is trying to teach me objective c. I might start makeing apps in a little while.
  10. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

I don't even see why people argue about this... Objective-C is always better, but it doesn't mean that Jiggy is always rubbish...