Disassembly

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by User Name, Jul 7, 2010.

1. User Name

User Name Active Member

So, my iPod has a messed up headphone port/jack thing. (This is the reason for opening my iPod) I have 2 questions.

1. The black rubber around the screen, a bunch of videos i've seen on how to do this say that it gets ruined. What is the downside to it being ruined, is it just cosmetic?

2. My headphone jack is only playing from the right side, unless i mess with the headphones to get the audio to play from both. Here is the question, will the jack need to be replaced or do you guys think it can be fixed without replacement?

(And before you guys say something about the headphones being messed up, its with any pair of headphones.)
  2. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

What rubber? Nothing should get ruined if you do it right. You're gonna ruin a bunch of clear yellow tape, but that stuff doesn't even need to be there. The headphone jack is so easy to take out.
  3. User Name

User Name Active Member

It's so easy to take out? The rubber like stuff thats around the black part of the iPod. Anyways, so do i have to de-solder the jack to remove it from the main board?
  4. ClusterShart

ClusterShart New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Make sure it isn't the headphones.
  5. User Name

User Name Active Member

Trust me, i've tried MANY MANY pairs of headphones.
  6. mgf95

mgf95 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    did you try to take it to apple before you tried to open it?
  7. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    He has no more warranty. Correct?
  8. User Name

User Name Active Member

Correct, warranty was up the week it broke.
  9. rawfuls

rawfuls Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Couple things-
    Have you tried restoring? Yes, I know, primary first step, but very critical.
    My iPod was doing this, playing only on one side, playing both headphones and speakers, restarting the iPod would fix it, where it would then work again. Restarting, restoring, give it a try.
    Looks like you have a 2G, and I'm hoping you have your SHSH blobs, not much to lose.

Once you've done that, I'll get to your actual questions-
    1. The "rubber" is the mid-frame, the digitizer (touchscreen/glass whatever you wanna call it), is, with adhesive, glued to the touch screen.
    It really depends what you use to open it, I've done it for many people (I replace cracked screens and such), and once you've done it, you start to learn the methods to remove the entire digitizer, much easier, in one full step. Be careful, and go around, don't use anything metal to open it.
    Since I replace the digitizers (cracked, non-responsive, etc), I use mini-flatheads, and don't really "try" to keep the digitizer nor the mid-frame in good shape.
    Honestly, once it's opened, the mid-frame is usually damaged to no other, it IS just cosmetic, but it closes the gaps between the actual LCD, and the outside. For instance, let's say you remove a piece of rubber in the corner, take it into a dark area, and you can see the LCD light coming through that corner that the rubber is no longer.

Honestly? I say if this is your first time, prepare for the worst. The things you can damage is extensive, mostly the mid-frame, digitizer, then the LCD, and if you really screw things up, the "Logic"/Motherboard.

2. The headphone jack is soldered on. At least if I recall correctly, given I haven't popped one open in awhile, but if you don't know how to solder, don't even try. The pads are incredibly small, and if it only plays on one side, it's probably a defective jack.

I say just give it to someone who does this professionally.
    Given, some places want a little over $50, look at it this way.

Headphone Jack = ~$20
    A digitizer + mid-frame = ~$30.
    A LCD Replacement = ~$30
    Logic/Motherboard = Well over a hundred.
    The feeling of breaking your iPod? = Hell.

Replacement?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/iPod-Touch-2nd-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23031f12f4

Give it a try, if you want to.
    but you have to know how to solder, this is a must.
    And micro soldering as well.
    And yes, you need to also know how to de-solder.
    A huge pain IMO.
  10. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Buy another warranty.Don't risk breaking it.Spend a couple dozen dollars without the risk of destroying your iPod.It's well worth paying a few dozen then costing a 175 dollar iPod...trust me