Disassembling iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blujay, May 13, 2010.

1. blujay

blujay New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking mounting my iPod touch in my bass guitar, just wondering if anyone would have any pointers!
    I'm running TouchOSC on the touch, which is controlling Mainstage and Logic via MIDI commands, similar to the Kaoss pad Matthew Bellamy from Muse uses in his custom Manson.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0PoidKHCQk&feature=related

Would i be able to disassemble the iPod touch, and mount all the components (that are normally in the case) in the bass, so i just have the display showing? that way i don't have to waste space having the rest of the front bezel showing on the guitar.
    Also, would i be able to still have the battery from the touch in it, and just have a USB connector next to the line in on the guitar to charge it?

I've seen similar things to this before, but never using an iPod as the screen, very keen to try!
    Any feedback will be much appreciated,
    thanks, Blujay
  2. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    first, what is the point, second, no it will not work without the battery, you risk damaging the board desoldering it, so the only reason to do that is to replace the battery
  3. blujay

blujay New Member

The point is that at the moment i have an ipod touch taped to my guitar, to control the effects on my Macbook, because my guitar is running through the laptop. Would be much easier, and secure, having it built in.
    I don't want to take the battery out, i want to keep all the components the same, just integrate them into the body of the guitar, then have the dock connector permanently hooked up to a USB connector, which then runs into an AC adaptor, either in my pedal board, or off stage.
  4. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I would keep it as is and just us a router to make bezel that it would rest on so that you would just barely see the outside silver lining.
  5. Toilet Duck

Toilet Duck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats what I'd do, maybe use something like sticky back Velcro to hold the touch in while fitted.