Disappointed - Quick Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by laziestninja, Dec 27, 2007.

1. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, I've been anxiously waiting for x-mas to open up my 16G Ipod Touch. I instantly connected to the computer and did the sync thing and registered it, etc. I proceeded to download about 100 songs or so. An hour or so later, after using it in my new ipod stereo (another x-mas present) the song and screen started to distort. The screen went purple frozen type of look and green. Then it went white and I couldn't see the screen at all. I shut it off and tried it again and it was fine. Then about every 20 minutes or so using it without the stereo, it would freeze up with distorting colors and become unable to use.

I'm thinking I got a defective one and should probably just exchange it. The next day I restored to original settings and redownloaded the update, etc. Since it's been fine (1 day). Just wondering if anyone else experienced this or has any suggestions of cause. Thanks guys.

PS: Besides this disappointing display, I've very impressed with the touch. It rocks!
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It could have been a firmware issue, yes. This is actually the second time I've heard of intermittent screen issues with recently purchased iPods (the other thread with a similar issue is here) which is making me think that maybe there is potentially another bad batch that made it out the door. If restoring the firmware fixed it then you're probably okay -- a new firmware also fixed the previous bad batch (weeks 38 and 39). Out of curiosity, what week is your iPoT? (You can find it by looking at the serial number; the 4th and 5th digits in the serial are the week number. For example, my serial number says 1A740NZ24WT. The 4th and 5th digits reveal mine to be a week 40.)
  3. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the info. It says mine is a week '43'. It seems fine now, but most likely I'll exchange it to play it safe.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Those are some good grounds for an exchange. There is no reason it should have done that our of the box.
  5. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, it just did it again, went all purple and fuzzy/blurry. I'll be taking er back right after work for another.
  6. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'll be picking up my new touch after work today. I just had another thought to run by the experts here. It may be coincidence, but this screen issue started occuring the first time when I placed the ipod touch into the new stereo system I got as a present. Could there be something faulty with this stereo system causing the touch to freeze up and the screen to go crazy?

Guess I'll see tonight with my replacement.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Possible - the power could be causing spikes, although if it was designed for iPods in general, I doubt it...

Might suggest you ping the manufacturer of the stereo system and see what they say about using it with an iPod Touch... Apple might get annoyed if you fry one too many...
  8. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  9. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does anyone own this Altec Lansing M602 BLK model with Ipod Touch? If so, have you experienced any issues? Thanks in advance.
  10. laziestninja

laziestninja New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Update: I picked up another new ipod touch. This one is week '48', and it appears to be fine. It works fine in my ipod speaker as well. I assuming the previous week '43' was simply defictive. Thanks for all your help guys!