Disappointed 3rd gen touch owner

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jrd, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jrd

jrd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well after years of not being an apple buyer i made the plunge. Spent $300 on a 3rd gen 32gb touch. I'm happy with the device in some ways but the things that will keep me from ever buying another touch or similar are

1. the battery sucks
    2. limit the number of pages of apps? common..

my touch is only 2 months old and with a full charge my battery drops to near half playing a 3d game for less then an hour..Pathetic. Very limiting for a + $300 purchase but i'm told thats the apple way. Oh well I tried but never again.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh and one other thing. Before getting jumped about the number of apps anyone really actually needs...Ok, i guess i'm an app junkie..who cares. For $300+ for my device should that not be an option available to me if i want it? Restricting page numbers (springboards) unless its to secure the devices performance or capacity to function i don't think is right. JB'ing it? not interested but now seeing why so many do it.
  2. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    What is the purpose of this? Sorry, but I see no questions that aren't rhetorical.
  3. jrd

jrd New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi, correct. you don't see any questions as i was not really asking any. Sorry i repeat myself when i'm not happy. I was ranting about the devices limitations despite the dollars dropped on it. I'm new to taking it in the apple.

cheers
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Okay then.. Do you need any help? A jailbreak will solve your apps issue.
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    u know ur not talking to apple directly here right?
    a simple fix for the app thing is to jb, then use one of the many tweaks to increase columns and rows.

battery issue is simple, turn off bluetooth, wifi, push, email ect off when not in use, also turn down the brightness
  6. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Or categories, or stacks. Bluetooth, wifi, email, brightness kill the battery. When not in use, turn off if you value your battery life.
  7. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    catergories will drain the battery even more lol, you can also overcome the page limit by using spotlight to search for em
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Categories doesn't affect my battery life at all.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

One thing to note - the Apps Limit exists with ANY iPod that's unjailbroken. You should've known that coming in, just by reading the iPod Touch manual: 11 pages of application. So it's not a 3rd Gen issue as much it is an Apple issue. Another is that application battery life is rated for 'up to six hours' per the Apple site... and that depends on using the optimized parts of the chipset to just watch video.

I'd suggest in the future that you do a bit more research BEFORE buying a product. But for the record, things like Infinidock and Infiniboard can help with the app limit to a degree... but nothing'll help your battery issue short of plugging the iPod in, since it was designed first and foremost to be a music and video player, with all the other features tacked on later. The CPU and the chipset are optimized for video and music playback, which means that when you're not depending on those features (which have shortcuts that allow it to run with less power usage), battery life drops like a rock. ESPECIALLY with 3D applications.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Honestly, the iPhone App Pages limit is a strange limit; after all, it isn't limited by memory, like Android (well, it is, but it has much more memory than Android device have) devices with their ROM.

Strange issue, though it is one none-the-less. However I'd disagree; the iPod touch 3G chipset (especially) was probably designed to do music, video, and gaming, since Apple saw how big of a market the 2G had created. But you are right; the battery is definitely best suited towards music and video, not 3D video games.