Disappearing album artwork

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by teejay41, Mar 8, 2009.

1. teejay41

teejay41 New Member

On a 16GB iPod Touch 1G, I am losing album artwork down the left-hand-side of the Music > Albums screen. About a third of them have gone (out of about 150), with blank black areas left instead. I don't think it has anything to do with the album-art files themselves, for in one instance, where 15 'albums' all have an identical artwork - the series being a 15-CD talking-book - all but one has disappeared, the 'one', near the middle of the series, still displaying OK. This apparently random loss follows throughout the whole album collection. Where the artworks have blanked, the tiny thumbnail in the top right hand corner of the album's track-list view is also blank. But none of the artworks has disappeared from the full-res. Cover Flow view which displays when the iPod is turned on its side. The artwork files are all jpgs of exactly 600-pixels-square, created from my own CDs (ripped as 128kbps AAC) by scanning their inlay cards. Until recently, they all displayed OK. I have tried re-syncing, but to no avail. The 'Pod is pretty full (<1GB left), following the addition of a clutch of Podcasts, after which this problem began. Any advice or ideas please? Thanks.
  2. Man696

Man696 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Do you use mewseek to download songs?
  3. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

for those songs on iTunes, right click, get album art.
  4. teejay41

teejay41 New Member

No, I don't know of mewseek.

Where iTunes offers to find album art automatically, it usually fails, because the albums I'm putting onto the iPod are mainly classical music and their album covers aren't included in the downloadable collections normally accessed by iTunes.
  5. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

edit the song info by selecting a song > right click > Get info. on the Info tab, make sure the Album is filled in correctly along with the Artist. then try and get album art again.
  6. teejay41

teejay41 New Member

Thanks leadergo - I'll give that a try.
  7. Tavis_C

Tavis_C Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had that same problem, heres how I fixed it:

1. Go into your library.
    2. Add whatever album art you want to each CD.
    3. Sync to your iPod

Thats what finally worked for me, seems that the iPod gets confused when you add artwork to songs already on your iPod.
  8. teejay41

teejay41 New Member

Many thanks Tavis C - I'll try that.

Yours is a most encouraging response as you've had the same problem yourself and overcome it. I think in every instance though, the artwork and song (or album, in my case) were synced on to the iPod together.
  9. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    same happened to me, except for it was only for 1 or 2 songs. Maybe try different album covers?
  10. teejay41

teejay41 New Member

Thanks for your response. My album-art files are all my own scans, optimised, edited and saved as jpegs at 600 pixels square. They give crisper Cover Flow images than download-obtained ones. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that 600 x 600 pixels was the optimum for the iPod Touch... does anyone know whether or not that's true? If they're too big, I could always downsample them but with 150 odd to do, that would be a fair old hassle. As I said in the original post, they all worked OK until recently (after I'd added a load of Podcasts).