disabled 2nd gend touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrasiankix, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mrasiankix

mrasiankix New Member

hi im new to the whole ipod touch thing, i had a friend thats in the military that was shipping out to iraq and sold a bunch of his items, one of which was a ipod touch 2nd gen. well all has worked well except for about a month ago when i got home to discover my 2 yr old has been playing with it. it is now disabled somehow and ive searched and search for a month now to try and find out how the hell to disable it. i found a few things on the net but none of which worked, i cannot get it into DFU mode. ive tried all diffrent ways, i tried to contact my friend but it turns out he also sold the computer that this was originally synced with on craigslist so who knows who has it now or if they formatted it

Please Register or Log in to view images

. but do you guys know of any way to get it back or to restore it??
  2. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Return it back to the person you stole it from.
    And please search next time.
  3. mrasiankix

mrasiankix New Member

umm yea thats nice of you to reply, how about next time you read the whole comment before you reply?? as i stated i searched numerous places including here, all that comes up is the steps to restore which i stated didnt work, and another post that tells someone that the stole it. im guessing you dont have any kids?? so yea its people like you who give forums a bad rep. how about trying to give better input next time? if i wanted answers from people that i thought wouldnt give a rats ass id go to yahoo and ask, instead i came to a product specific forum expecting more help
  4. dashaman

dashaman Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Did you try installing iTunes to your computer? plugging your ipod in then put it in DFU you mode then do a restore?
  5. mrasiankix

mrasiankix New Member

i have itunes installed and all but it give the pop up saying i cannot do anything due to it being disabled. ive tried about 5 diffrent ways to try to go into DFU mode but they dont work ive even held the home button for more than 15 mins (i kid you not) but it just dosent do anything, ive also tried winamp since someone from another forum suggested trying it but it basically says the same that it cannot detect the device cause its disabled

and thank you for actually trying to help out instead of telling me to return it to whom i stole it from. is it so hard for people to believe that people can buy stuff from someone other than apple? like ebay, craigslist ect.. ect.. i mean is it that hard to imagine with the internet these days?? sorry that ends my /rant
  6. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

guess what buddy, return it to the person you stole it from

in order for your two year old to enable the passcode he/she would have had to have done one of two things

he/she would have had to have

A) entered in your military friends old passcode CORRECTLY, and he/she would have to do it TWICE, and then hit turn on passcode

or

B) enter in a new passcode and it would have to be the same code entered again TWICE

your two year old didnt do either of those so just return it to the person you stole it from
  7. mrasiankix

mrasiankix New Member

ahhh ignorance is bliss, ok so let me get this is it so illogical that someone can actually purchase this other than from an apple store? just answer me that question? and then is it also impossible for a kid to disable the phone? those that reply with out even giving the whole topic any thought are stupid or dont have any kids. these f***ing phones arent fool proof. and once again i will state that this phone worked for a period of time until my kid got her hands on it, meaning my friend DIDNT have a passcode for it that i know of, so my daughter somehow set it and disabled the phone. can you say 100% with certainty that this cannot be done? with no statistical data or ANY data to prove your argument? ok for those who still cannot logically think follow this example. go to ebay or craigslist and type in ipod touch, then pretend you purchased the device, then pretend you received the device, then i want you to pretend there is no code set, then lets say you give it to your friend that is next to you and he sets a code, he then keeps entering the wrong code. ok now he gives it back to you and it is disabled. CAN YOU RE-ENABLE IT? DID YOU STEAL IT? can i make it any more clearer? and can someone with a brain other than these two retards comment back?
  8. Dragonpet

Dragonpet New Member

I read your posts and the entire thread. First a ipod is not a PHONE. OH I absolutely love your overreaction! Now that we have that out of the way.

I assumed you have sync with your own itune library since your friend left (during that one month period), in that case you can just plug it into your computer and do a restore. By the way, you hold down both power and home button for 10 seconds, then just home button for 10 seconds to enter DFU mode. The reason I mention the above is that I don't see power button mentioned anywhere in your last post other than you held down the home button for 15 mins.

And according to this apple article you should just be able to plug it in and restore regardless if you sync with the said pc or not. so either way, just try putting it in dfu mode and do a clean restore/not backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1212

Edit: ignore the the bolded sentence.
  9. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have to agree... my son at the age of 3 was able to install software on his own in my PC (Why the hell i taught him - i dont know lol). He could also play Zoo tycoon (As long as i read the words)

kids are smart... even 2 year olds.

Dragonpets answer is good... DFU can be done easily... 10 seconds power & home.. let go of power and continue holding home for 8 to 10 more seconds. iTunes should say its in recovery mode. Restore
  10. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Oh, and after you have restored it, give it back to the person you stole it from. I am sure they would be grateful for the gesture.

Problem is, you sound like a 12yo kid who pinched this out of some school kids bag. Of all the people i know who have gone to Iraq, none of them have gone on a mad selling spree off loading their ipods. If they take one thing with them, the ipod is usually the first thing to get packed.