DirectX and OpenCL rendering API built in or jailbroken?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPwn, Feb 14, 2010.

1. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The iPhone 3GS/iPod touch 3rd gen graphics card (idk about older devices) has built in support for OpenGL 2.0, OpenCL, and DirectX 9.0/10 (i forget if it was 9 or 10). Of course, being the n00bs they are, they only provide extensive API support for OpenGL 2.0. Can jailbroken users take advantage or make their own apps that use these hidden features? Probably not, but i was just curious.
  2. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I wouldn't think so, just because Apple hasn't allowed it yet.

If the APIs were there (just not enabled) then maybe, but I doubt they are there.

But then again, maybe we'll see support for these kinds of technologies in 4.0.
  3. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I actually doubt DirectX now. Microsoft "made" DirectX and is used by Windows and the Zune HD. Zune has no OpenGL support, so either way it doesnt matter. Games wont really look "better" with DirectX. They both are good at their own parts of a 3D model. The PS3 uses OpenGL, so i'm going to conclude that OpenGL is better. idk what OpenCL even is, but i heard its good and it is used in OS X Snow Leopard.
  4. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    DirectX is proprietary, meaning Apple would have to pay to use it. Apple would never use it. The nivida chips in a MacBook support it, but OSX doesn't, same with the iphone. Why would anyone want to use directx anyway? http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

OpenCL (Open Computing Language) lets developers use the GPU for for general computing, not just graphics.
  5. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Oh thats cool. So with OpenCL, 3rd gen device owners could use their graphics cards for 250 extra MHz and some extra memory?
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I guess it depends on how the developer uses it. There are things the a CPU can do better than the GPU and the other way around. The benefits would be on a per app basis. It's not going to give your phone more memory or MHz, just some tasks within certain apps would get done a little quicker.