Different Video Codecs (AVI, WMV, MPEG Etc.)

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by jentybhullar, May 7, 2008.

1. jentybhullar

jentybhullar New Member

PLAY AVI, WMV, MPEG Etc!! (RELEASED)!!!!!

EDIT: IT'S OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! BEER FOR EVERYONE!!!
    http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/news/182421-vlc-iphone.html

i just thought of this idea because every time i download some movie or episode, i have to convert the video to MP4 first

Please Register or Log in to view images

.. so i was wondering if it's possible to install different codecs on iphone/ipod so you can play different video extensions without converting them first. it'll also be cool to do same with the audio files. if ipod music/video player doesn't support this, then may be have a completely different player like VLC player for windows. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ for more info. is it even possible?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. optimo

optimo New Member

the most important thing to understand is that the filename extensions are container formats. the encoded video within may be of a dozen formats

like with the new h264/mp4, xvid AVI's and WMV have a wide range of encoding features and postprocessing. The iphone/ipod has a tailored decoder tuned to work with a severely restricted version of h264/263. it's simply a matter of the capability of the chipset. most pirated AVI's contain an advanced set of codec for h263/xvid, including intensive math functions and post processing. Even your off-the-shelf DVD ripper by default is setup to author for stronger decoders.

in other words, its not as simple as saying 'lets write a codec', when the device is not equipped to handle advanced video codec.

in fact, the restricted version of h264/mp4 that the device supports is greatly crippled. compare these to h264/MKV an up-and-coming PC format with a slew of advance techniques for encoding/decoding. compare the measely 400MHz chip in iphone to the 2+GHz full-featured processors needed to decode advanced codecs, including full-WMV9 and VC1, and of course full-h264

PS: those most severe restriction is the bitrate throughput of the soft-chip inside
  3. xxjustinxx

xxjustinxx New Member

Yea that would be sick but with soo many projects being worked on I doubt this will come out anytime soon...
  4. jentybhullar

jentybhullar New Member

thnx

ok thnx optimo... but atleast a low resolution (320x240) avi or wmv would be able to run on a 400mhz chip wouldn't it? and also for audio files, wma should be possible?
  5. optimo

optimo New Member

theoretically, yes
    but who has 320x240 AVI or WMV lying around? if you are going to encode a video for yourself, you may as well use h264/mp4. take note, while resolution is indicative of the performance generally, the bitrate is the most important factor in determining the throughput of the process, followed by the cpu-intensive deblocking

WMA audio should be possible now, that's one to keep up hope
  6. jentybhullar

jentybhullar New Member