different version of frozen touchscreen problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by chowfunk, May 7, 2008.

1. chowfunk

chowfunk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've done a search, but I seem to have a version of the frozen touchscreen problem that I haven't read in other posts.

When I turn on the screen, it freezes after about 3-10 taps. It doesn't matter whether I'm inside an app or on my home screen. Rebooting does not unfreeze the screen; but turning off the screen, waiting a couple of minutes and turning back on will will buy me another 5-10 taps. Of course this is no way to use an ipod. Turning the screen back on right away does not unfreeze it, but waiting a couple of hours does not buy me additional taps either.

I've tried resetting all settings, uninstalling summerboard and other programs that may be the cause. I have 99MB in my OS partition so that shouldn't be the problem. Haven't tried restoring - but I wanted to check if anyone knows a simpler way before using the last resort option - of if restoring even fixes the problem.

I have 16GB Touch, jailbroken over a month ago to 1.1.4 - and problem only showed up a couple days - so jailbreaking was not the direct cause. It did show up around the time of most recent installer update.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    do you have dock.app installed? If so just uninstall that and you should be fine.
  3. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

Restore.
    Its not good for the ipod to be half-broken, if you know what i mean.
    If restoring doesn't do it, take it to apple. They should give you a new one right away.

But somebody else might have a real solution to this problem?
  4. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    definatley restore.
  5. chowfunk

chowfunk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Nope. No dock.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Have you ever used vwallpaper? I just trying to narrow down the usual suspects.

Applications like dock, vwallpaper, stacks, categories, are usually the cause of this sort of thing and if you can find the problem you could avoid a restore.
  7. chowfunk

chowfunk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

I'm using a photo as a wallpaper if that's what you mean. But it's the same photo for the last 4-5 months ago. Never heard of any of the other apps, so I guess I'm not using them. Thanks for putting thought into this.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I usually dont like to say this but I think you should just try a restore. what apps are you using?
  9. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    If you list the apps we might be able to help.
  10. chowfunk

chowfunk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sorry I haven't responded. Don't get on these pages much.

I went ahead and did a restore. Checked to see everything was OK. Then did a jailbreak, and it kept freezing up whenever I opened Installer, even though I did the typing in the Contacts thing, and tried the DFUmode. After about 5 tries, I did more thorough checking before attempting JB, and after about 300-400 taps, it froze up pre-JB. Looks like it was a hardware problem? Brought it in to the Apple store today and they exchanged it.

Thanks everyone for all your help.