iOS 4.0 Different iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Jelly, Jun 8, 2010.

?

What do you think?

1. Could be. :)

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. You're stupid.

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. Time will tell.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Jelly

Jelly Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm guessing that in the future, Apple will differentiate the iOS between iPhone and iPod touch. FaceTime is probably the first thing (even though the touch may get it in September).

Look at what I found...

When you go to the iPhone page at Apple.com, and click iOS 4 at the bottom, it goes to this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

OS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G.

When you go to the iPod touch page at Apple.com, and click iOS 4 at the bottom, it goes to this page:
    http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ios4-software-update.html

That page says The iOS 4 Software Update works with the second- and third-generation iPod touch.

You can see that these are two seperate pages about the same OS, one talking about compatibility w/ iPod touches, and one w/iPhones. I'm guessing that these pages are seperate because in the future, the OS will be very different between devices.
  2. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Lol, there was always two profiles of iPhone OS (now iOS), for iPhone and iPod touch series and now we also got iPad that have little different UI due bigger screen, in matter of fact each generation of devices creates new profile of iOS. Those profiles ofcorse are made due the different hardware profiles, you don't need to waste space on things that device will never use. So you speculating on something that was been known since beginning of iPhone OS

But keep in mind, whatever there will be difference in iPhone and iPoT they made whatever UI will be diff rent, the core is always the same and all apps will made for iOS will work on all iOS devices. iOS is iOS
  3. Jelly

Jelly Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I know that each device has different hardware and therefore have different OS parts. But, the fact that the iPhone and iPod touch have seperate pages may show that they will have big differences in their OS's because each page is showcasing a certain type of device. It's just strange that the page are exactly the same right now, and they are still seperate instead of combining the pages and shoiwng compatibility with iPod touches and iPhones.

This may show there will be distinct features in the future for each device.
  4. Leonick

Leonick Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The pages arnt exactly the same, references to the new camera features are removed n he ipod one...

also it's probably a lot because they are actually different products someone who have an ipod touch or plane to get one dont care if the new verson of he ios is compatible with a certain iphone or not, this is the standard non geek users i think of of course
  5. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    *Just seen pages*

............it was like that since beginning ^^' it's not changing the facts that they both run same OS and have same APIs. Bah, even iPad APIs are the same just app is set up for bigger screen, this is why we see apps that work on iPhone and iPad and iPhone only apps works fine in iPad. As i said, profiles been since beginning but it's still not change the fact that it's same iOS
  6. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    It's always been like this since iPod touch firmwares 1.x.x...

EDIT:
    Lol, didn't read the top, but Shadowriver kind of already said what I said. =P