Different consolidating library situation...

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by XoJuneXoBugXo, Jan 7, 2008.

1. XoJuneXoBugXo

XoJuneXoBugXo New Member

Searched, but found nothing...if I am mistaken, please point me in the right direction, thanks!

Problem: Computer with 2 HDs; XP Home HD went crappy, installed XP Pro on second HD. Obviously I wanted to move my entire itunes setup to the new HD, but decided I might as well just keep my entire setup on my external HD so it's portable. I figured I'd use the "Consolidate Library" option for this. I started the process, but hit stop to check for enough room on the external. Since I THOUGHT once I clicked consolidate library again it would start over, I deleted 5 gigs from the external that it already copied. I hit consolidate again and from what I can tell, it picked up where it "left off"...not detecting that I deleted what it already copied.

Question: How can I get the consolidate library process to start over completely? Or should I just wait it out and see if it did indeed copy all 40 gigs of itunes?

One other issue, which may actually be a better solution but I need input: I would like to eventually reformat my old HD to just use as a recovery drive. Knowing that, I copied my entire "C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music" folder to the new HD. When I formatted the new HD for XP Pro, it changed drive letters, so if the consolidate library to the external doesn't work (if it doesn't have all 40 gigs there, and there's really no way I can pick through it all and find what it didn't copy), could I not just reimport off the new drive and change the library files to point to "F:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents\My Music" and it'd work?
    Although I'd like to avoid reimporting, since I screwed up when I first set my library up and didn't have "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" checked.

Any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated, as this is my only day off work to figure this out!

Edit/Update: I forgot to mention, after changing the location of the folder to the external drive, it said it was updating the itunes library, I cancelled that in fear of broken links. Then I clicked consolidate and I let it finish and it did NOT copy the full 40 gigs. I deleted and tried again, this time ALLOWING it to update the library to only have all 4,998 songs with ! marks by them. I thankfully had a saved previous library file and loaded that one, and as far as I can tell that fixed the broken links problem. I'm still at square one with no real solution. I don't want to try changing the location, letting it update to all broken links, and then trying to consolidate, because I'm pretty sure it won't work...Please HELP!
  2. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

That's odd...
    I recently got a new hard drive and wanted to get all of my music off of the old hard drive to put on the new one. I went to edit > preferences > Advanced > General and changed the location of the music folder to the new spot where I wanted my music. Then I hit okay and clicked consolidate and it copied everything over just fine. Then I just went back and deleted the old tracks off of my old hard drive.

Edit - I don't know if this makes a difference but FYI I have these options checked in the general options menu:
    Keep iTunes Music folder organized
    Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library