Difference between winpwn and quickpwn?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by argpav290, Aug 29, 2008.

1. argpav290

argpav290 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm so confused. ive read the information on quickpwn about how it doesnt need a restore but i still dont really get it.
    i just want to know the pros and cons of both
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

QuickPwn = only does jailbreak.

WinPwn 2.5 = can create custom firmware OR run QuickPwn.

Incidentally, the 'search' link above is your friend. This is like the 30th thread I've seen with this so far....

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. argpav290

argpav290 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh so quickpwn doesnt really pwn the device then
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

It pwns the device and installs Cydia for you along with giving you the option for the YouTube Activation fix and custom boot logos. It just doesn't create a custom firmware and force you to restore with it, is all. WinPwn, if you use the standard mode and not the "QuickPwn" mode, forces you to create a custom FW to flash onto the iPod.. and THEN you have to Restore after you've run iPwner on iTunes. The latter process means any data on the iPod is lost as the whole thing gets reflashed, whereas QuickPwn just pwns the phone and leaves the media area intact as you didn't reformat and restore the iPod.

If you'd actually read the 30 threads on the subject, you'd have found that out right away.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    A restore is not needed with quickpwn as long as you are already on the firmware you want to jailbreak.

In other words, if I wish to upgrade to 2.1, and I am on a lower firmware, I will need to upgrade first before using quickpwn, which will of course wipe out any data on the device.