Difference between Soft Upgarde and ,,real" Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by ijailbreak91, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ijailbreak91

ijailbreak91 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    WTF?!!
    I don´t understand.
    Whats the difference?
  2. skinnny101

skinnny101 New Member

I'm with you kinda....I think a soft upgrade just makes your ipod think that it's on the new firmware (but doesn't get the benefits..seems kinda pointless which is why i think i'm wrong) and a real jailbreak puts it on the new firmware and jailbroken (and you get benefit from the new features of the new firmware).

By benefits i mean bug fixes or new features that apple has put in the new firmware.
  3. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

A soft upgrade is when the files of the original firmware are replaced with the files of the newer firmware, without actually upgrading the firmware. The downshot of this is that the device will not work properly or less efficiently. However, to a casual observer and to iTunes, a real upgrade and a soft upgrade (providing it has been done correctly) are hard to tell apart.

For a definition of Firmware, see the Wikipedia article.
  4. kylepsp

kylepsp New Member

Well what would be the point in updating? A soft upgrade takes all the new bits and installs them onto your ipod.
  5. skinnny101

skinnny101 New Member

that's why I thought I was wrong.
  6. JayWalker

JayWalker New Member

I am confused too, ey.
    I really dont know what to do.
    To either do a soft upgrade or wait for the real jailbreak?
    So from what people are saying, soft upgrades dont really upgrade the actual firmware. It just replaces the files.

Which method is better
  7. dadav

dadav New Member

The real jailbreak is really close now so wait for the dev team to release it. all software upgrade jailbreaks will become obsolete when this arrives.

A hard jailbreak, from my understanding will bring back full functionality aka 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 jb's.
  8. VistaDog

VistaDog New Member

ziphone is a real one so if u have a post-macworld 16 gb or any 8 gb just do that
    if not id do a softupgrade then when the dev team releases theirs or zitouch comes out do that