Differance between first and second gen's screens?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MutherFOO, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Which generation has the better display quality?

1. First Generation

32.9%
  2. Second Generation

67.1%
  1. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

Have you Guys noticed a difference in the first and second gens screens?

I have had both first and second gen ipod touches and I noticed a difference in their screens display.

When I first compared my first gen ipod touch (Purchased as soon as they were released) to my buddies first gen (Purchased 3 months after mine/release), I noticed a slight difference in their screen clarity. My buddies first gen ipod touch had a brighter and much more colorful screen then my exactly the same first gen ipod touch. So I am wondering if Apple didn't change some display settings to try to improve battery life or did Apple change screen manufactures after I bought mine.

Now I have a second gen ipod touch and my buddy still has a first gen ipod touch. you would figure that the second gens screen would blow the first gens screen right out of the water, but i was wrong. the first gens screen was still brighter and more colorful then mine. WTF!

Our brightness was turned up all the way and we had the auto-brightness feature off.

Please share your opinion by voting in my poll up above.

And, if some one could provide me with a good answer that would be GREAT!

(First gen on the left, Second gen on the right)

Please Register or Log in to view images

(First gen on the left, Second gen on the right)
  2. JAD

JAD New Member

I'd rather answer here because it's complicated.

Please Register or Log in to view images

In a side by side comparison the 2G has a yellow cast. At first I thought this might be to save battery power but turning up to full it still has a yellow cast and that doesn't really make sense as I doubt the power usage is reduced by the colour.

Then I thought it could be to make it a bit easier on the eyes, particularly when reading. I think it probably does make for less eye strain.

I also did a side by side comparison of identical photos on both the 1 and 2G and the results were interesting. The whites are not as white or crisp BUT there is a lot more detail in the dark areas.

Sooo, in conclusion I like them both just fine. I do have the same movie on both but I haven't tried comparing them.

After a day of use I stopped noticing the slightly yellowish tinge and between the clearer pictures and the easier on the eyes muted effect I find myself preferring the 2G. But then, I read books on it a lot. Your milage may vary.

Oh, and because of the yellow tinge the blues and greens (like in the sky or folliage) are not as saturated.

And after re-reading your post and noting your first gen vs. buddies first gen comments, it's been reported that some of the first gen screens had some colour problems. Some online reports say they were improved with firmware...that's just what I read.
  3. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

thank you sir.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this.
    I was baffaled for the longest time over the difference in my first gens screen! I first thought the reason why my screen was darker was because I cared it every where in my pocket. So I thought the screen was sensitive to heat. but I also though it could a factory defect.

Once again, thank you.
  4. trax95008

trax95008 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i think your poll should include an option that they look the same. that's the one i would select. and yes i own both first and second gen.
  5. claytonb

claytonb New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Screen variations

Well, I purchased two of the ipod touch 2g for my kids. One screen got a blue cast where the other one is yellowish. This indicates they are not all the same and the change in the display may not be true.
  6. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

Sorry, I forgot to include that option, it was getting late and I was tired LOL.

Have u comparied them side by side, because at first I too thought the sceens looked the same. But after I comparied the first and second side by side I noticed the small difference.
  7. trax95008

trax95008 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    they honestly appear identical to me. but that just means i happen to get two that are the same.
  8. JAD

JAD New Member

I've been reading a while on it now and the 2 gen is definitely easier on the eyes for it.
  9. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

I have to agree, I have been reading some froums for about an hour now and my eyes still feel good.
  10. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yup back when I had my 16gb I was jailbreaking someone else's from school can it looked clearer than my screen. After I got it stolen and was up at my cousins I noticed her 32gb screen looked like it was way to bright and looked almost like when you turn both the brightness and contrast on a monitor a bit to high, where things look like they have a haze of white over them. I was worried when I ordered my 32gb but when I got it, it was perfect. And 4 mentioned here are 1st gens. I have yet to see a 2nd gen in person, if I care enough my birthday is in November and I get a sh*t load of money at Christmas because of the huge family I have. But its weird, every screen was different. So I think there are a few problems beyond week 37.