Did the dev team consider this at all when giving the go-ahead to update to 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smb.ben, Jan 28, 2009.

1. smb.ben

smb.ben New Member

Ok so I'm sure that everyone has watched musclenerd's new video about 2.2.1. He said that all iPod touch 2G users have the go-ahead to update, but did the dev team consider that maybe apple knows about the exploit to reach an untethered jailbreak (if there is one) and patched it with the update? Is this possible? If so then I think this is a very likely possibility. Apple knows their machine batter than anyone so if they know about a possible exploit then they have every reason to patch it.
  2. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

It is not possible to patch the currently-used exploit.
  3. chivasgarcia

chivasgarcia New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    the exploit is found in levels before the bootloader, so the firmware does not affect the jailbreak, all thats needed is an updated quickpwn/ pwnage tool
  4. smb.ben

smb.ben New Member

no, the dev team is looking for a different exploit to allow an untethered jailbreak. The current exploit only allows a tethered jailbreak.
  5. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    the level that the dev team and chronic dev are working on are lower than the firmware, apples updates arent able to touch this level, its like the first gen touch patch except there is now another layer on top preventing it from an untethered jailbreak .
  6. smb.ben

smb.ben New Member

oh ok, thank you. Just wanted to be safe and look out for the community.
  7. Lase

Lase New Member

If you use the method from http://dentafrice.pastebin.com/m77d7abcc you could also see for yourself the exploit still exists. I updated my ipt2g to 2.2.1 and the exploit still worked. Their not looking for another exploit to run un-signed code, just an exploit to make the payload run untethered.
  8. MarcoPwnZ

MarcoPwnZ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    huh wait... wtf? i got a question for lase.... that website.... is that how u get the tethered jailbreak? how did ? wtf? lol
  9. AriX

AriX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's not a jailbreak, it's just a way of running unsigned code at the bootloader level.

Not really. The exploit is found in the bootloader level, but it's been signed by Apple, which means we can use it whenever we want. They already patched in in the firmware (in 2.2), but since they signed it, we can still use it in later versions via DFU.
  10. MarcoPwnZ

MarcoPwnZ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh ty arix for clarifying things up