Did Steve Jobs demo a Flash-enabled iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'Apple Discussions, Rumours and Speculation' started by touchhacker101, Jun 12, 2008.

1. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Seems like maybe flash will be supported on the 3G iPhone. Take a look..

Yesterday we pointed out an image on Apple’s Web site that is indicative of an iPhone 3G displaying Adobe Flash content, but may have simply been a case of the company’s graphic design team cropping a Desktop browser image to fit the device’s screen. We’ve now discovered another bit of evidence that, albeit similarly speculative, would seem to show an iPhone 3G making use of Flash.

During Steve Jobs’ keynote address, a speed test was conducted, pitting AT&T 3G speed against AT&T EDGE speed, both tests conducted on an iPhone 3G (one with 3G enabled, the other without). The site Jobs chose to render was nationalgeographic.com.

On current iPhones running OS 1.1.4, and in the iPhone Simulator included with the iPhone SDK, nationalgeographic.com renders with a picture of a cheetah and the message “This presentation requires Flash. Download free Flash player.” On the keynote-demonstrated iPhone 3G, however, the site renders the same cheetah image without the “This presentation requires Flash” message. Interesting.

Of course, on a full-fledged Desktop browser with Adobe Flash, an interactive presentation is displayed in place of the cheetah image, so this (like yesterday’s discovery) certainly does not confirm Flash on the iPhone. The situation is still curious though; did Apple edit the graphic on the National Geographic home page to delete the Flash warning? That seems awfully contrived, but not completely surprising.

Once again, judge for yourself:

Source: iPhone Atlas

Attached Files:

2. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i don't think that is how the site would actually look, they were just giving an example
  3. masterwill22

masterwill22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I would like to believe that apple incorporated some flash... but it's just too unlikely. Jobs even said that flash wouldn't be supported.
  4. b-ballstyle

b-ballstyle New Member

ok i just loaded the site on my iphone and it exactly the same thing ....
  5. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

Check next to the cheetah, there will be a yellow box that says download flash player. Trust me, I just checked.
  6. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it looks real to me
  7. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

You can clearly see on the 3G version that the flash player request is photoshopped out.

Typical of Apple.
  8. redforeva

redforeva New Member

Well, if I was head of any company releasing a internet device/phone that can't load a damn picture correctly, I would try and hide it.
  9. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

I'm just wondering why they would do something like that. They must have realized communities such as ours would notice it. Were they attempting to rouse our speculation on flash, or simply trying to get another article written about them. Any press is good press.
  10. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah, the 2G iPhone screenshot has a yellow box that shows 'Requires Flash Player' and the 3G iPhone screenshot shows a Photoshopped out yellow box

Please Register or Log in to view images