Did I just brick my touch???

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by help!!!, Aug 19, 2008.

1. help!!!

help!!! New Member

OK, so I think I might have bricked my touch. GREAT!!!

First off, I am not very good with computers and electronic devices. So if you can help me, just keep in mind that you're talking to an idiot haha.

Anyways, I have an Ipod Touch 16GB. Last night I tried to upgrade to the new version 2.0. Everything went smoothly and the file back up was performed without a hitch. Then came the firmware update. I started the firmware update at midnight. It seemed to be taking awhile so I just went to bed. I checked my computer before heading to work (around 7:30) and it still had the rolling green going across the progress bar. So I decided to leave it alone and check it when I got back.

While at work I talked to a guy who knows a lot about these devices and he told me how to restart it in a recovery mode. So, I decided that if nothing had updated by the time I got home I would follow his instructions. Here is where my lack of knowledge comes in.

When I arrived to my house I saw that nothing had changed. No progress was made at all. So I decided to follow this guys instructions (which he emailed to me.) Unfortunately, before reading the instructions I disconnected the touch from my computer. Then, I went back to read his instructions. The first two instructions he gave me showed the way to properly disconnect the Ipod...Yea, I'm an idiot.

So basically here's my problem. I'm staring at my Ipod as it has the Apple icon in the middle and the little line circle rotating on the bottom right above the "home" button. If I try to re-connect it to my computer, nothing happens. Have I just turned my Touch into a paperweight? If not, how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance!
  2. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Enter DFU mode and restore. I will give you step by step instructions since you are eleectronically impared

Please Register or Log in to view images

BTW- your ipod is not bricked.

1. Turn on the ipod and make sure it is connected to the computer.

2. Hold the home button and the power button for about 12 seconds until it shuts off

3. Exactly two seconds later let go of the power button and continue holding the home button for around 35 seconds or until the computer recognizes it.

4. Itunes will pop open and it will sya your ipod is in recovery mode and you have to restore.

5. Restore. It will take arounf 15 minutes for 2.0 so be patient.

If you need more help then PM me.
  3. hect111

hect111 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey man the same happend to me so i just went to the apple store and they were just about to give me a new when when another guy said whats the problem and the other dude told him what it was so he took my ipod to the back and in 5 mins he brought it back fixed and upgraded. hope this helps
  4. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
  5. Ezra

Ezra Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    You have to update iTunes, and put it in DFU mode.

Thats the problem!
  6. help!!!

help!!! New Member

Sir, you are my new hero!!! That worked perfectly! If you didn't live on the other side of the country I'd buy you a beer.

Right now it is restoring my Ipod music and video's.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I really appreciate it!
  7. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Sure. Anytime. Glad I could help.
  8. help!!!

help!!! New Member

OK, so everything seems to be perfect.

However, I started this whole process because I wanted to install the dynolicious application. I purchased this last night and it is currently in my Itunes applications library. How do I get it into my Ipod though? Dragging and dropping it doesn't do anything as it still shows the circle with the slash through it.

I'm really sorry for asking what I am sure are stupid questions!

Thanks for your help guys!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    nevermind...just figured it out...thanks again!
  9. jjmali

jjmali New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Seriously, read the manual. This is a you are lazy question.
  10. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

He genuinely needed help. Posting a comment calling someone lazy is lazy. Get over it.