Did Apple trap me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raEEv3, Jul 13, 2008.

1. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Did Apple trap me from buying an iPhone from other users who bought it like. IE. off craigslist or ebay? For people who don't have a data plan? I went in my service provider, and I asked them if we can turn off 3g and they said yes, btu yo ucannot turn off edge. Therefore I have to pay for internet right? Since I cannot turn off edge and do not have a data plan right?

Someone correct t his

DONT VISIT IF YOUR NOT GOING TO REPLY TO THIS
  2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

if you dont have edge or 3g then you have NOTHING but wifi, and essentially, an ipod touch
  3. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

I had to visit to read the stupidly big text that told me not to visit unless I intend to reply, it would have been more useful to put that as the thread title, and more people would have visited out of curiosity as well.

As I haved visited, and now have to reply, could I ask you to please either repeat the question in plain english or have someone interpret it from the intelligable babble you have provided to a question people might be able to answer.
  4. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

he wants to have 3g disabled by his service provider which they CAN do, they said they WONT disable 2G and this guy apparantly feel trapped for having sometime of cell service ON HIS PHONE.

to clear up for anyone
  5. plokiju

plokiju New Member

He wants to just use it for phone calls and texts, and not deal with huge data costs from 3g and edge.
  6. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

If he doesnt have the EDGE cell network, or the 3G, then whats left for him to make calls on?

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Thanks, I now understand what the question is, not sure why it needed to be asked though. I would have thought the answer is pretty obvious:-

Buy a 2g iPhone off ebay unlocked, use bossprefs to turn off edge and use any sim you like in it.

What is the point getting the 3g iPhone, which has only one benefit (3g mobile internet) and then trying to turn the 3g bit off. Aside from the fact you have to pay for the 18month contract that includes 3g access unlimted to get the 3g iPhone in the first place, the 3g bit is the only benefit the new one has over the old. Plus you can get a 2g iPhone unlocked for around £150 ($300) and use any plan you like with it, or pay £100 ($200) for the new iPhone and sign up to a contact that will cost £630 ($1260) over the 18 months you are tied into it.
  8. plokiju

plokiju New Member

Is this true? I thought phones could still make calls without edge enabled. I guess I didnt really think about it before
  9. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

it was my understanding that EDGE was the network that the calls were made one (with the original iphone)
  10. plokiju

plokiju New Member

can someone with an iPhone confirm this?