DFU, restoring, setting up new device - confused?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RaymondK8, Feb 18, 2010.

1. RaymondK8

RaymondK8 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, so I just recently got an iPod so I'm new to all the jailbreaking stuff.
    Right now, my iPod is tethered, so sooner or later, I'll definitely be unjailbreaking it because it can be pretty inconvenient.

Anyway, I just want to sort this out:

Entering DFU mode - This is used to downgrade to an older firmware so you can re-jailbreak, right?
    So, you enter DFU, connect to computer then hold Shift and click on restore, then select the firmware you want to downgrade to.
    Is that right?

Restoring the device then set up new device - This is to update to the latest official firmware and it removes all jailbreaking evidence - right?

Sorry, but I really am confused. If that's wrong, can someone explain to me with all this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    You can't downgrade to a older firmware cause there isn't any... Correct me if I'm wrong
  3. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Restoring then setting up removes all jailbreaking evidence. Restoring generally goes to the newest firmware.

DFU uninstalls the firmware and you cannot downgrade because iTunes cannot verify firmware with apple. DFU is generally for emergencies if something is majorly wrong.
  4. RaymondK8

RaymondK8 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, thanks a lot for the info.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Another question -
    Just say that Apple had released a new firmware which had some pretty amazing features and it could be jailbroken, does this mean I need to restore my iPod Touch and set up new device then update then jailbreak?

Does this mean that all my jailbroken apps will be lost?
    I have a AptBackup but I think that even AptBackup won't help when I set up new device.

So am I right? If I want to update and do a jailbreak on my iTouch, I have to remove all my jailbroken apps?
    If so, that just sucks

Please Register or Log in to view images