1. Justin`

Justin` New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For some reason, on 3.0, not even jailbroken, I cannot get into DFU. When I follow all of the instructions and the iPod reconnects to the computer, the new hardware comes up as USB Device and asks me to install the hardware, but I cannot do this.

iTunes doesn't recognize it, anyone know why the new hardware isn't showing up as DFU mode?
  2. got_milk?

got_milk? New Member

You need to be more specific. Are you receiving any error messages? What do you mean by you cannot do this?

I think DFU mode is working fine - but your computer is having issues with the driver. The fact that your computer even sees the device means that DFU has worked.
  3. Justin`

Justin` New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The hardware that it is coming up as is "USB Device" not Apple Recovery (DFU) Mode. I go to install the "USB Device" and it says it cannot find any drivers.

I'm guessing it is a driver issue, but I don't see why it's not working.
  4. got_milk?

got_milk? New Member

iTunes 8.2?

Does it try to automatically install the drivers?
  5. Justin`

Justin` New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, I use iTunes 8.2 and it asks me what I want to do, either have Windows find the drivers everytime, this time only, or find the drivers yourself.
  6. got_milk?

got_milk? New Member

If you open Device Manager (Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager on Vista, Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager on XP I think) does the USB device show up in a "Other Devices" category? Also, does the USB device have a little yellow exclamation mark in its icon?
  7. Justin`

Justin` New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It is there in Other Devices, and it does have the exclamation.
  8. got_milk?

got_milk? New Member

With the iPod plugged in and in DFU mode, right click on the device and select Uninstall. Wait until the device disappears from Device Manager, and remove the iPod. Wait ~5 seconds and reinsert. The Apple Recovery driver should install.

Does it show up correctly now?
  9. Justin`

Justin` New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nope, it is still coming up as "USB Device."
  10. got_milk?

got_milk? New Member

Interesting. I'm going to Google some things and see if I can come up with another solution for you.

EDIT: I have no idea why it's not showing up correctly. Try removing the driver again, but this time reboot when you remove the driver and only reconnect the iPod after the reboot. If that doesn't work, try removing the driver, remove the iPod, remove iTunes, restart, reinstall iTunes, and try again, as iTunes provides the necessary driver.

That is, unless someone can come up with a better answer?