DFU and Restore Mode Guide

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gammaraptor, Apr 17, 2009.

1. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is a guide about how to get in and out of DFU and Restore mode. It also explains what each is used for in case you don't know...

What is it?

DFU Mode:
    DFU stands for Device Firmware Upgrade mode, it's for upgrading your Firmware to a newer version or jailbreaking your iPhone

Restore/Recovery Mode:
    Don't get confused, Restore/Recovery mode and DFU are not the same!!!
    Restore mode is for reverting your iPhone back to its old original state from a firmware file.

Firmware:
    If you don't know this, then that's very sad. Firmware is like the operating system the iPhone runs on.

Now that we're done with that, let's explain how to get in and out of these modes...

How to get the iPhone into restore/recovery mode:
    When in this mode the iPhone will show the iTunes logo and the USB cable or your custom boot logo.

1. Disconnect the iPhone from your PC/Mac if not done already.
    2. Hold Power/Sleep until the red slider shows up, slide to shut the iPhone down. If this aint work hold Power/Sleep and Home until the iPhone shuts down. Put it aside.
    3. Start iTunes on your PC/Mac and make sure to have the latest version.
    4. On the iPhone press Home button and keep holding it while connecting the iPhone to your PC/Mac.
    5. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recovery mode, the iPhone shown the recovery logo.

How to get the iPhone into DFU mode:
    When in this mode the iPhone screen is black.

1. Connect the iPhone and your Mac/PC
    2. Shut down iTunes
    3. Hold Power/Sleep until the red slider shows up, slide to shut the iPhone down. If this doesn't work hold Power/Sleep and Home until the iPhone shuts down.
    3. Hold Start/Sleep and Home for 10 seconds (try to be accurate…)
    4. Let go of Start/Sleep but keep holding Home for about 30 seconds or until…
    5. … iTunes starts up and finds an iPhone in restore/recovery mode. The iPhone screen is black. Don't worry, the iPhone should be like this.

How to get the iPhone out of restore/recovery mode:

WARNING - This may not have a 100% chance of working.
    1. Connect iPhone and your PC/Mac, quit iTunes.
    2. Hold Start/Sleep and Home for about 15 seconds
    3. Let go of Home button but keep holding Start/Sleep until the Apple logo on the iPhone screen shows up.
    4. Let go of Start/Sleep, the iPhone will boot

Get the iPhone out of DFU mode:
    You should always disconnect your iPhone before getting out of these modes, even though you can while it is still connected. It's just to be safe

Please Register or Log in to view images

1. Hold Start/Sleep and Home until the Apple logo shows up on the iPhone screen. This may take up to 30-60 seconds.
    2. Let go of both buttons, the iPhone will reboot.

I hope this works for you.
    If you have problems, please post your suggestions.
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice, this might help out a few people that don't know how to DFU, and if they actually take the time to search. Lol.
  3. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea...

Lol, I like lmgtfy.com, it's called "Let me google that for you"
    Basically, it produces a link, then you can copy it and put it in a post. When someone clicks on it, they go to the site and it googles the search query for them. It was hilarious when someone first showed me it.
  4. kmc915

kmc915 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    planetbeing has been tweeting about how it may be bad for your iPod to go into DFU by useing the method above. He said it like unpluging a computer wile it's still on. He also linked to the iPhone wiki where it explains that the best way to put a iPod touch into DFU is to turn it off first then hold down power and home for 10 seconds then release power and continue holding home for another 4-8 seconds. Just my two cents but he does have a point. I can say that this methoed worked for me on my iPod touch 2G.
    http://twitter.com/planetbeing
    Tweets:
    -Turn off your iPhone (slide to power off) before performing the DFU steps. You don't unplug your computer without shutting it down first.

-@RickAlmighty No, http://tinyurl.com/cx4kmj
  5. Gipson

Gipson New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    sweet guide, thx. my itouch would randomly lock to just a black screen. nothing would work then i read about the 'get out of restore mode' part. no idea why it would do that.. whatever music was playing would keep playing but it would act like it was off. wondering if it has to do with my Multibar lockscreen theme.

thanks again!