Devicescape Connect?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by KingPelvis, Jan 11, 2008.

1. KingPelvis

KingPelvis New Member

Has anyone tried Devicescape's Connect application? It boasts of automatic login to any nearby WiFi network without needing a password or anything.

Frankly I haven't dared install it since I heard it was a commercial application and when I saw it on the list off new apps in the installer, I got a gut feeling that maybe it wasn't the real thing or something.

Also I don't see how that could work at all. Sounds like a fantasy.
  2. kaiyel1

kaiyel1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Its seems not to work for me unless i have a password for the wi-fi. So basically its useless for me until I or someone else figures it out. I uninstalled it today.
  3. KingPelvis

KingPelvis New Member

Right... because the iPod already automatically connects to previously connected networks that you have already input the passwords to.
  4. blizma

blizma New Member

Ye its stupid. You need to open the app to login automatically anyway... And the normal wirless app in settings saves the pass aswell... So its pointless =D
  5. dino86

dino86 New Member

I thought that this can connect to wifi that is passwords protected but it cant so it does not work as i expected it... Maybe it sounds stupid but is it possible that this app maker my wifi reception better... I am using my neighbors wfi

Please Register or Log in to view images

and always had only one bar but since I installed this I have 2-3 bars?????
  6. nbx909

nbx909 New Member

Uninstall it and see if you get only 1 bar then.
  7. KingPelvis

KingPelvis New Member

I Googled it (devicescape connect ipod) and found a lot of info I don't really understand.

Apparently you need to register at their website for it to work. Seems like it is a kind of login sharing community of some kind??? So that when you enter your passwords, they are stored on the Devicescape server where I guess it could be accessible to others as well?

Also something about subscribing to (and paying for) a subscription of tons of logins in the USA. Nothing for people living elsewhere in other words. Still somewhat cryptic to me.

Not especially interested in putting up my home WiFi password on the web either, as a free resource.
  8. blizma

blizma New Member

Ye..
    If i was desperate to get access to passowrded hotspots and places so i can get around town always with a connection, id just take a laptop with me a drive around to allplaces getting passwords....
    were 50% of wifi's have no passwords.....

Conclusion : Dont get install it...
  9. KingPelvis

KingPelvis New Member

One of the best things about having an iPod Touch is that you don't need to haul a laptop around in order to search for networks. A small discrete iPod inside your hand will let you stand inside the door of the restaurant, apparently using your cell phone, in order to check if their WiFi works.

For instance, I have found a working open internet connection in the stairwell between the 4th and 5th floor of my building. I have no idea where that signal is coming from, but I would have never found it with a laptop.

My problem is that I'm experiencing that most of the networks in this city lets you log in, yet there is no traffic whatsoever. All dead with a full signal strength. Hence my desire to snoop and see if I can actually connect before sitting down and ordering something just to get their password.

My record is 5 non working WiFi caf├ęs in a row during a day. That's a lot of coffees just to send an email.