"Device has malfunctioned" she's a paperweight.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Taheen, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Taheen

Taheen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright, I have tried every idea I can here. My 2g has been jailbroken since the day redsnow came out. All has been just peachy as can be until today.

I was at campus between classes listening to an audiobook and checking the news when the screen froze up and the book stuttered. I couldn't shut it off, couldn't do anything but wait. After about 5 minutes the screen finally went black and the sound died. I couldn't reboot, figured when I got home tonight I would just do a restore.

So here's the problem, using two different cords, on two different computers, one XP the other Windows 7... I get nothing.

When I connect the usb I hear the chime and the popup box of "one of the usb devices attatched to the computer has malfunctioned" shows. I can hold the home&power and do the usual DFU mode count. Popup comes up again saying my device has malfunctioned.

I put it on the official Apple wall plug for awhile and tried agian, same thing.

I'm at a roadblock here. At least the computer recognizes something is attatched I guess.

Please help?
  2. Miga

Miga New Member

Hold down the home button for a longer time. About 10 seconds or so, instead of 5. It'll then go into DFU mode.
  3. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    did it get wet or dropped by any chance? if not, then I have absolutely no idea. are you sure you are in dfu mode? Check my sig for an app that helps you just incase you want to be sure. if you can't get it in dfu, then it is a hardware failure.
  4. Taheen

Taheen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've put this in DFU mode quite a few times, I wish it was just me screwing up the timing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Never got dropped, never got wet. Just simply sitting there looking at some news stories, listening to a book and that's it, a few minutes of stuttering audio and frozen screen and then black.

No matter what I do all I can get out of it is the popup box from windows telling me the device has malfunctioned.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well I put my foot into my mouth.

I say thank you very much. I tried your way of entering DFU with your helper and it actually did the trick. I have Always done it the other way holding both for 10 seconds, then power for 10 seconds and done.

Thank you again, was such an odd error.