Developing with Java

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by powerpup118, May 21, 2009.

1. powerpup118

powerpup118 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi guys,

I'm taking a whack (I know I'll never develop anything) but I would like to try..
    So, I wanna use Java, and I have it installed and everything, and I can get it to run command line programs fine.

How do I get an icon on springboard
    (without a mac or the SDK) (linux or windows, please.)
    That will link to my Java GUI application, and run it?
    Anyone know?

Thanks,

Bob.
  2. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I don't know if that's possible. But why don't you just learn ObjC? It's not that hard, specially if you already know a language.
  3. Jeepston

Jeepston New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I think it's possible, if you create directory structure that correspond to the structure of obj-c application (the one with .app extension), put there your image for SB icon and create appropriate Info.plist.

Anyway, I would listen to the advise of the above poster and learn Obj-C, because I doubt that you can access iPhone APIs from java...
  4. powerpup118

powerpup118 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok.
    I found this information on another website, I'm unsure if it's ok to post the link.
    And also this small bit,
    Now, if I put my icon.png into a folder (/Application/myapp.app/) Will it show up on springboard?
    Do I need an appropriate Info.plist in the same folder?
    I have no idea about XML coding; could anyone suggest how to write an info.plist that would run the java file found in /Applications/myapp.app/ Orr?
    If you could suggest help or anything; that'd be great, and thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would learn X-code but alas I have no mac

Tis why I would enjoy using Java, even though I have no acess to any API's.
    Merely for fun, and maybe someting interesting in the future.

Thanks,

Bob
  5. masaj

masaj New Member

If you just want to stay in the console I think you're okay with java. If you want GUI apps you should really try to learn Objective C.

I got frustrated early on with Objective C so decided to look into the jocstrap stuff. It's equally confusing if not more so, as it doesn't really look like java or follow java conventions as far as I can tell. It seems to be a very low level wrapper around Objective C. So I just bit the bullet and started using Objective C, which you can do on Linux and maybe windows.

This explains how to create the toolchain:
    http://www.saurik.com/id/4
    For me I seemed to hit a lot of gotchas doing this manually, so some kind soul on saurik.com's irc channel pointed me to this script which automates the process:
    http://code.google.com/p/iphonedevonlinux/wiki/Installation

Then you can develop from the comfort of linux in Objective C and all it's kludgy glory.
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Do your best to learn Objective-C - you already have an object orientated "mind-set", if you will...