Developing with a Jailbroken Touch. Good idea, or bad?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by -Xi-, Jul 5, 2009.

1. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    If I'm understanding everything correctly, there's a whole mess that needs to be dealt with to get an app you're testing onto your Touch/iPhone.

Because a Jailbreak allows you to add unsigned apps onto your device, wouldn't it technically cut out some of the busywork in designing an app? Just compile and SSH onto your device to test?

Or, does a jailbreak cause issues with testing new apps?

I'd appreciate some input on this.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good idea, your testing.
    It doesn't matter if it's jailbroken or not, it will work.
    Do you have a developer membership?
  3. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Not yet, but I'm looking at getting one. I wanted to get a feel for the tools first. Maybe make a few simple apps, then go ahead and pay the $99.

Would it be best to use a bare-bones jailbreak that's as close to a non-JB as possible, or are things like Winterboard and Categories still ok to use?
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

If you are working on a jailbroken phone, be aware that there are extra libraries installed with the jailbreak or afterward. also, there are certain things to watch for, like reduced memory usage, as you ma have stuff running in the background. Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, working on a jailbroken phone gives you A LOT more debugging options, making the possibility of creating a perfectly app a lot more likely. You should note, that you will never release the perfect app. There will always be bugs and shortcomings. Also, when I say "you," I mean anyone.

Irrelevant: Getting the app onto your phone and working is super easy.
  5. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the info, Skylar.

I read this blog post that made it sound like it took hours and hours to get an app for testing onto a non-JB device. I'm guessing that's not true?

They made it sound like you had to completely recode the app, then wait for a testing signature for up to a week from Apple.
  6. Duykur

Duykur Banned

Well i guess you should test with both, to check if it will work with jailbroken devices and devices that are not jailbroken.

Remember that majority of your profits come from non-jailbroken devices. But reviews, news and promotion come from jailbroken devices.
  7. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

I remember before when I was jailbroken and trying to run applications right from Xcode on my iPod, SpringBoard kept failing to launch the application. It was really annoying, so I keep one of my iPods jailbroken, and the other not, just in case.
  8. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is it worth having two iPod Touches for developing? It was an idea I was toying with, as I have a 1G now, and would love to take advantage of the 2G's extra features.
  9. Duykur

Duykur Banned

It would be idea to have at least 2 of each idevice, it's kind of bad releasing apps for a device that you haven't tested, even if they are extremely similar
  10. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good point.

Is the 1G as important to be using? Would it be better to just pick up a couple of 2G's and keep the 1G as a basic tester to make sure the apps are still 1G compatible?