Developing w/out SDK or Toolchain..(hopefully) simply

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by drdrum, Apr 8, 2009.

1. drdrum

drdrum New Member

Apr 8, 2009

So I have been looking for a certain application for quite some time now (actually firmware 1.1.2 I believe). I never needed it, but I thought it would make a great ipod touch application. And so I looked in installer for something of that sort. Nothing. I kept checking back.

After 2.0, I started my search once more, in Cydia. No luck. And a couple days ago, it dawned on me. I know how to create some applications on my computer (especially web-based apps), so why not attempt it on the Touch?

I've learned the filesystem well, and have a general idea on how it works. I have messed around with editing applications such as HelloPython and even Cydia (nothing major though). But then I thought "Hmm..." when I saw some .html files.

I then took the iBlank application, and started editing it to my liking (it has an index.html file). I was just experimenting a little bit, figuring a bit of stuff out. Well, after two days (I still don't know why) it started crashing. So I thought I'd post this and hopefully get some insight, and some code help.

In short, I want to make an application that is basically JUST html files. That's right, and use some javascript to do the actual program for me. But I didn't know how to go about this. I don't know how I can "include" the html files in the program, or however I'd be going about it (probably something to do with Python, which I have little experience in). So I'd like some help on that - getting the iPod to run a program that includes 1) and index (or other "main-content" html file), and 2) a navigation html file (basically the thing down at the bottom of the screen, like in Cydia, to switch the "main-content" file i.e. load another file for the "main content").

Well, I was having a slight problem when I started trying to tune iBlank (and HelloPython) to my liking: I couldn't change information such as the application name without it either not showing up on springboard, or crashing upon execution. I was changing the information in the Info.plist file by the way. I don't know what causes it, but my suspicion had something to do with the "" (I forgot what it was, but you get the idea). Is it searching for the package, and can't find it, and therefore crashes or something? Forgive me as this may be a stupid question; I'm not experienced in this field.

I would so greatly appreciate it if you guys can help, and if you have the time, please do upload a compressed file (such as .zip, .tar.gz, .rar, etc) as an example or even a "base" for the application.

------------------double post merged------------------
    Does anyone even have any ideas? How could I get started, even with just an index.html page as the home/only part of the application?