Developing on a mac without internet access?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by chris96, Aug 25, 2009.

1. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi,
    I am running Hackintosh iAtkos 7i, however my internet doesnt work on the mac os, as it is an unsupported wireless card. I have installed the sdk by placing it on a shared hard drive and downloading with windows.

Will it be possible for me to do all of the development on my hackintosh os, and then submit the apps to the app store on Vista? Or would I have to submit them on a friends mac?

Thanks
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

As long as you have the final zipped application that you upload to iTunes Connect, you should in theory be able to upload it from Windows. Just make sure to zip it in OS X. I doubt Apple has any form of check in place for iTunes Connect to make sure you're in OS X.
  3. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I would be shocked if they didn't have some kind of check. Their whole thing is to keep iPhone/IPT development on OSX.

I hate to come off like this, but you're not on a Mac. If you're serious about developing, get an actual Intel-based Mac. It will save you a lot of headaches that Hackintosh OSX will cause. Check out Apple's deals on refurbs. You can save a lot off of a Mac, and it will still arrive as if it were brand new.
  4. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is the only issue with Hackintoshes, that I dont have internet.. Other than that, they work fine for me. Thanks for the suggestion, but I wont be buying a mac any time soon, to submit I will either use windows or a friends, and I'm trying to find out if its possible to submit on windows.
    Cheers for that info johnny, does any machine specific information get included in a zip file?
    Thanks
  5. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I didn't suggest that to be dickish - if it came across that way, I apologize.

My suggestion is simply that if you plan on being a real developer (as in releasing apps into the appstore, paid, or even free), getting a Mac would be a good idea. While a hackintosh may work to an extent, it limits you quite a bit. Especially if Apple really starts cracking down on non OSX-users making apps.

I got my MacBook for $750 shipped to my door. Going with a refurb saved me something like $200. I sold my Windows notebook and basically covered the cost of the MacBook entirely, and got a better machine that works amazingly compared to my old Vaio.
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Didn't know you had to be in the AppStore to be a "real developer". Well, I guess it's settled now.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Getting a Mac would by no means be a bad idea, but if his current setup works, there is no reason to get a Mac just to develop.

I'm sure Apple does check the OS of the uploader, but I don't think they would ever do anything about it - what about development teams/companies that may have a member or leader without a Mac...
  7. -Xi-

-Xi- Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's not what I was implying. I'm talking about serious developing. Whether for Cydia, the App Store, or freelance. My point is simply that a Mac will make life easier for an iPhone/IPT dev.
  8. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All good man. I understand that its a good idea, but right now its not a good move for me due to the cost, I can afford it however I am only young and dont want to shell out nearly a thousand dollars. At the moment, I am just looking at solutions that dont require me to own a mac, however definitely in the future if the app store works out well for me ill probably purchase a mac.

Ok cheers for that

Ok, but for now Im just trying to find out about my two options, a friends mac or on vista.
    Thanks all

9. chris96

chris96 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ? any more info
  10. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I run a hackintosh with iDeneb on it and I downloaded and used the SDK just fine. Now the whole installing without internet may be a pain i would think.