developing a new app, gonna need some help

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by berky93, Mar 20, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

ok I suddenly had an idea for an app while in sciencs class - a ruler! with the right graphics we could have a 100%accurate pocket ruler on our ipod. the thing is ,theres 2 things I need help with

1) what is the ppi (pixels per inch) of the ipod vertically [basically I want to know how many pixels tall one inch is on the screen, in portrait mode]

2) if I add other rulers (thefirst one Im going to make will have inches on one side and cm on the other, but maybe I'll add different things like different precisions and colors, for easier visibility) then I'll need an app that can view AND switch pictures, but without the hassle of photos. for now, ill probably use the basic vista/light app.

EDIT: turns out someone already did this, and did a pretty good job I might add. it works fine. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...uler&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS265US265&sa=N
    I edited out the text about the creator on mine, so if you want it just tell me.
  2. nclaxmiddy11

nclaxmiddy11 Active Member

Great idea! I think you should maybe just try different images and see if you kind find one very close then edit it
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

ok heres the modified image without the creators name, I got a lot of requests to add this.

EDIT: all credit goes to Billy Chasen.

Attached Files:

4. Blooper4912

Blooper4912 Member

Uhhh... That image is copyrighted. If you are going to redistribute it, you need the author's permission and you need to leave the name on it.
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

or i can give the author credit - (edits above post)
  6. Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    probably not today but tomorrow if you need help coding, i recently have been studying jiggy (UKIT javascript)

And i am good with photoshop, i can probably also even make a pic
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

well I'm not at all a coder, I just do graphics. but if you could make an app that shows an image when you open it and then you could switch through images somehow (button, flick, menu, whatever) it would be great.
  8. Snowspot

Snowspot New Member

It's not all that original.. lol...
  9. berky93

berky93 New Member

still hes right. if you look at the image that specific picture is copyrighted. an ipod ruler image isnt the copyrighted design, so I could make my own no problem. but that one made by that person is their property.
  10. optimo

optimo New Member

this ruler is part of the latest Converter.app, it appears when you turn iPod sideways. It works well, I suggest you try it