Developers shouldn't bother with 3D games

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Twazzock, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Twazzock

Twazzock Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    On the iPhone that is, of course. And by 3D graphics I mean stuff like, Assassin's Creed, Real Racing, Doom Resurrection etc. And this is my opinion, I'm not saying it's fact.

Firstly, it looks ugly. No matter how technically impressive it is for the iPhone, it will always have jaggy edges, muddy textures and fairly bad animations. You'll never be able to make a truly good looking game in 3D, the best the iPhone can manage is servicable graphics that let you see what you're doing. They also tend to run quite poorly, with low framerates and the like.

Also, 3D graphics generally make for bad games. There are a few good ones, like Real Racing and Assassins Creed, but in general they tend to be let down by poor graphics and stability. Controlling the game in 3 dimensions is a lot harder with the iPhone's touch screen, and I personally find an on-screen analogue stick quite unweildly to control.

In short, 3D games on the iPhone are more expensive, look ugly, don't run so well and are awkward to control. Why bother with them when you can make genuinely nice looking, fun games like Rolando, or Plushed. It baffles me, quite honestly, and I'd love to see more cheap and excellent 2D games on the iPhone, replacing the 'hit or miss' 3D ventures.
  2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm going to have to agree with you on this, side-view 2D is generally better looking and better gameplay than 3D. Buuuut, LiveFire/KillTest may just be the one 3D that won't be horrible.
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with you except for Real Racing. That game is one of the best games on my iPod.
  4. Twazzock

Twazzock Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah I did mention that RR was one of the exceptions.
  5. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    hm i disagree with everything you said, except the part about real racing

i think 2d graphics work great for puzzle games and platformers and the like (for example, i much prefer maplestory's graphics to world of warcraft's), but all of my favorite ipod games, aside from geodefense, are 3d and none of them look ugly or are at all hard to control, imo

i think you'd get a much better/greater response if you posted this on toucharcade, btw
  6. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    No, If you don't take risks, you will never learn. 3d Games do work. Just look at Doom Resurrection.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Where is the Nintendo DS and the PSP in this?
  8. Twazzock

Twazzock Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I deliberately avoided mentioning that seeing as it's just come out, and I've yet to play it.
  9. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch

Don't forget Performance.

I have to disagree with you a bit. A poorly rendered game just makes me want to scream[Halo 3]. Graphics=Gameplay.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Don't forget about NFS
  10. Olehk8

Olehk8 New Member

I completely disagree, There are a lot of good 3D games, and if we gave up now, there wouldn't be anymore good ones... clearly it's possible to make good 3D games, so why would you just give up?