Developers!!! Ipod is for artists, so where is the art? Sketches.app is too limited

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by enigma_911, Dec 26, 2007.

1. enigma_911

enigma_911 New Member

Check out VSPainter 1.75 developed by 3rd party for Windows Mobile 6.0 users. This painting software is light years ahead of Sketches.app. VSPainter has hundreds of thousands of shades of colours available, different stroke thicknesses, erasers, etc. Is this so hard to incorporate into a new piece of drawing software? Can someone please do this? It's the only thing stopping me from buying an ipod touch, instead i'm inclined to go for an HP iPAQ and i really don't want to.

ipod touch
    ------------
    pros: web browser is way better, jailbreak available, more support, larger screen, good price
    cons: sketches.app is not a pro app, it's really the only thing i need for a unit like this

Windows mobile 6 devices
    -------------------------------
    pros: vspainter is available, light years better than sketches.app
    cons: higher price than ipod touch

Here's the original thread: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17716

So the question is, can someone work this easily? Please for all of the sketching drawing artists out there!!!!

The only few things to add onto sketches.app are:
    - add a colour wheel for 64k colours or something, complete with hue/saturation sliders, etc
    - add varying brush strokes, thicknesses, styles, etc (levels)
    - add an eraser
    - add a nicer line tool
    - add a nicer drag-and-let-go square/rectangle tool

... and that's really all an artist would need for a beta version!
    Think of it as the ipod touch miniPshop

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

thank god i have a PDA for better functionality.

EDIT: i see you are leaning towards purchasing a Windows Mobile-powered device. trust me, i am telling you: it is damn worth it. you can do so much more with it versus an iPod. no need to convert video (you can just drag and drop onto your memory card), you can even imitate the iPod look with additional software (if you want examples, let me know), bluetooth, TONS of applications, no hacking required. it is worth every penny.

EDIT2: if you're going to get an HP IPAQ, i suggest getting the HP 210/211 as it has a VGA screen. I have the dell axim x51v, it compares to the HP 210/211 models but the only difference is that the HP 210/211 models have wireless G (axim only has wirelsss B).

EDIT3: Link to device http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/215348-215348-64929-314903-215384-3544499.html

EDIT4: forgot to mention you can play emulators like SNES/NES/GB/PSX/MAME/GBA/DOS. the list goes on.
  3. crazyhacker92

crazyhacker92 New Member

I agree and also a simple animation studio app
  4. Drako

Drako New Member

Agreed... this would be awesome.. it would be a great app to have and i know its possible just gotta find someone who can do it.. lol
  5. jango271

jango271 Banned

First off, i want to say i agree that a better art application would be very cool.

However, i disagree with the title of this thread. An ipod is not for artists. Perhaps you mean musical artists, but thats not entirely true either. The ipod touch is created for people who like to listen to music, not the people who make music, and its certainly not made for physical artists (painters, artists who draw, that sort of thing). Also, a more serious art app would require a device with better input than your index finger; some sort of stylus would be needed (I am aware that there are styluses for the touch and iphone) A windows mobile device is better suited to handle a large, well-rounded art application; the ipod touch, even though it is jailbroken, still is somewhat unstable (bugs in other apps can ruin the entire firmware).

Still, an app a bit less limited than sketches would be nice, but I wouldn't attempt creating any masterpieces on any mobile device, let alone an ipod.
  6. Drako

Drako New Member

jango has a point.. but still a bit more advanced wont hurt

Please Register or Log in to view images