Developer strikes it rich with iPhone game

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kitren2, Nov 25, 2008.

1. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Turning your passion into your profession is the dream of every hobbyist, but one amateur game developer turned that dream into reality with a smash hit iPhone puzzle game, CNN reports this week.

Steve Demeter wrote "Trism", a sliding-block, color-matching puzzle game, in his spare time, and put it on Apple's App Store for $4.99. Just two months later, the game had earned Demeter over $250,000, and prompted him to quit his day job at a bank and start a development studio.

Demeter's studio, Demiforce, is working on five new games, including the sequel to Trism.

Want to get in on the action yourself? Go right ahead: companies like Apple and Microsoft (with the Xbox 360's new Community Games channel) have begun to provide bedroom developers easy, low-cost ways to develop on hardware that was once closed off to all but the biggest games makers. But with low barriers to entry comes lots of competition. Over 1,500 games are currently available on the iPhone's App Store, according to CNN, compared to about 900 two months ago.

via Yahoo
  2. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats crazy. I should do that.
  3. qasim

qasim New Member

4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thus $4.99 is too much to charge for the app. Though obviously if people are willing to pay that amount for it then fair play. Nice story - hopefully will inspire others to put out more (quality) apps.
  5. Atl

Atl New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I wouldn't say he's rich, but that's some nice cash just from a side project/hobby.

If I had hobbies, I too could earn money like that!
  6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    i used to make money on the side selling my 'hobby', but, unless you start absolutely flowing it in, it's a pain in the ass when you have to start paying tax on the extra earnings and filling out numerous forms with the tax department every year. for me it wasn't worth the hastle involved for the return i got.
  7. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, the above, and you have to pay the team thats developing it. Did I correctly read he has a studio to develop these things? Thats more pay checks that are going out. Or maybe he does it himself, but has a fancy studio with fancy equipment. Well, earthier way, thats still money going out. I don't think $5 is much to ask for a nice quality app. Its just now that we see the magnitude of what $5 can do, we think its a little much.
  8. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I read this somewhere a few months back $250,000 was only a month or so of sales from the article I read. He is probably banking close to a cool million by now. Definitely worth the effort of running your own studio with that kind of money. If his other apps sell as good as this one he is going to be a very wealthy man in no time!

I really need to learn more coding.
  9. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Isn't that the truth!!