developer blog ?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Lazrhog, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    so, now I have been playing about a bit with the tool chain and the uikit and some stuff, I have well and truly started my first game for the iPod touch.

I am not saying it will ever be released, but I am considering writing a developers blog here, so that maybe I can pass on the useful bits of info that I work out that might help someone else.

What does everyone think ? Worth doing or not ? If so I might write some stuff later and post some screens of where I am at. It would probably end up open source (depending on how neat I keep everything).

The game I am writing will be obvious when I post some screens later. I think I am about 2 weeks from finishing so it could be quite fun, or I might just give up depending on how drunk I am at the time

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Ah yes, the whole drunk thing. That's what stops me from coding. I usually only have time to sit and try to do things on the weekend, but I also really love to go out and party.

I usually go with the latter.
  3. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah I agree, although at the moment my 3.5 year old lad takes any spare coding time I usually have. However, I have cleared some late nights and am ready for some learning.

I took some screen shots earlier so I will upload in about an hour after my dinner has gone down, and I will get the ball rolling.

4. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    OK, so here we go. I have been developing this for 2 nights now, and have been concentrating on getting some of the classes (or objects as it seems in obj-c world) to interact with the Ipod framework. I realised straight away that graphics were always going to be pivotal to the success of the app (and I needed to see how fast they would all move) so decided to concentrate on those and getting some animation and movement, as there are 64 'sprites' to chuck around.

Anyway, down to the progress so far as I am losing development time tonight. Here are 4 screenshots of current progress. I had to retake them just now, as I couldn't find the ones from earlier in the Screenshot folder.

As you can see, this is going to be a Zoo Keeper clone, but depending if anyone complains about the graphics, I can change them at a later date. The first shot is the blank screen, then the 2nd is the animals dropping into place (with the alternate animation), the third the animals in place, and then finally the 4th, although it is hard to tell, they are all shaking about as if the timer had run low (it looks really good on the ipod that bit).

I'm going to get back to coding tonight, but I'll post here tomorrow(ish) on how I did the graphics and animated them with some example code.
  5. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    well I have given up on the idea of a development blog, as the game went together a lot quicker than I thought it would. Look out for a release soon

6. SkylarEC

If you'd like, I could stick it on the iPodTouchfans repo. It is now accessed over 100,000 times per day, and it is growing at a steady and astounding rate.

Just PM me over the app, and I'll get it up as soon as possible. If you do, just let me know if you want it on the BETA repo, or the standard repo.
  7. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yep, thats probably what I will do. Thanks. did you see I posted a video on youtube of it running ? I am quite pleased with how its turning out. Just need to do the levels and scoring and fix a couple of bugs I spotted. The game engine itself seems really solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVJ9_lB7c9Y
  8. SkylarEC

Good job. The application looks very well done.
  9. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yeah I'm quite pleased as its written from scratch and I'm only 3 days into learning Objective C

10. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    anyone think they could give me a hand to start coding apps???

ive got loads of free time