Dev JB & Nate JB: Don't believe the hype, neither is "better"

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by myboot, Jan 27, 2008.

1. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Here's a typical thread that I see popping up here and there, and on other msg boards as well. Person asks if they should stick with their perfectly working Nate JB or go with the new "official JB" they saw when they woke up today.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30626

The response from some gloom-monger is getting pretty pat by now: "Dude, you're going to brick your Ipod... and something called Nikita doesn't work and though I have no effing clue what Nikiti is (isn't it the name of an 80's Elton John song?), I'm telling you that Nate's JB is Bad bad bad and you should have used the Official JB like I did. You lose on SDK!"

Listen folks... by jailbreaking with EITHER method prior to the SDK you have just joined the ranks of the Bleeding Edge. You will bleed, because it's very likely that when the SDK comes out you will have to install a series of patches or completely restore and jailbreak again with yet another method. This goes for you too, Official Jailbreakers.

Me? I have a perfectly working JB 1.1.3 having used Nate's method. All my apps run, I have jiggly icons and web shortcuts and it's no better or worse than the Official Dev one. Sure, I'm running Iphone firmware because like so many other Touch owners, I couldn't be patient and wait. But the same is true of any Touch owner that did the Official JB. I'm satisfied, I have the latest features. End of story.

So unless you're a member of the Dev Team or Nate -- please stop spreading your gloom and doom and speculations about "Nikita" - because you were on IRC, dude, and you heard about this thing called Nikita from people who apparently know much more than you do...

All you're doing is fooling some noob into thinking he needs to spend another day restoring from Nates to JB the official way and in the end, as I said, we are all likely to be bleeding again when the SDK comes out anyway. You're only accomplishing making the noob bleed more.

PS: Is there any truth to what the guy from IPhoneskinning.com had to say about the official jailbreak? With installer going haywire and even manual installs not showing up in the Springboard? Or did he just screw up his JB, or was the official JB fixed overnight?

http://www.iphoneskinning.com/2008/...eam-jailbreak-released-back-again-to-112.html
  2. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Official was fixed overnight. And plus, you're right, there will probably be a 1.2.0 or something with the SDK, and personally...i really am starting to forget why i even jailbroke...all the apps out are kind of useless. And actually, the official is better because you don't need all these countless fixes.
  3. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

The Dev JB is better. It doesn't run iPhone firmware, the upgrade pack will sync straight to it, music bought from iTunes plays, your alarms won't be non-existent, Mail.app works without fixes, and I am willing to take NerveGas's word for it when he says that SDK applications will work (why wouldn't they?).
  4. consume1

consume1 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If the music works, so would the SDK apps because they will all run on a DRM system....
    But, what makes you think sdk apps will work on 1.1.3 now?

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i dont think the sdk apps will add a special firmware because think about it, it took over 2 months to get from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3, now they are going to need to fix this exploit. but then the dev team has another exploit they are going to unleash after the sdk apps have been launched so that they both cant get patched up. this way we all win. besides, idrc, i have the official jailbreak with jfb's method and it is so awesome