Design YOUR ideal iPod Touch/iPhone/Nano etc.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by touch owner in AL, Jul 7, 2009.

1. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So there are tons of rumors always floating around about what the next product would be. We just saw the latest iPhone. There are rumors about the next touch having a camera. There were rumors of a Nano Phone. What would YOU include in yours, if you could build it.

Here's my rundown.
    1. Keep it the same size as the iPhone. While the Nano Phone ideas were neat, I like the size of it. I'd want it to be thicker like the phone rather than thinner like the Touch. Bigger battery, and all of the new internals of the phone.

2. Minimum of a 5.0 MP camera/Camcorder. I could skip carrying a camera on trips if I could get decent quality pics out of my phone. 5.0 MP is plenty big enough to put on my photobucket/shutterfly accounts for posting online or ordering snapshots of. I'll still keep my 12.0 MP Kodak for stuff I want to have enlarged prints of. But for convenient, everyday stuff, 5.0 would be a good start.

3. Card reader. SD is probably the most common. And they now make the micro SD cards up to 16 GB. At least a quick look over at Best Buy, that was the largest available. That is a card about the size of my fingernail that holds twice what my 8 GB Touch does. I would prefer the full-size SD cards, but for the size of the phones, I would use the micro ones for size considerations. You could take photos, put them on the card, and go pop it in one of those printers that most places have now. Which leads to:

4a. 32 GB storage.
    4b. More pages for Apps.

These sort of go hand in hand. They already have the 32 GB phone available. But if I could use that space more for Apps, like maybe 25 pages or so, and then put a bunch of music and videos on it as well, along with the option of popping in the micro SD card for playing extra music and videos, it would be everything in one.

5. Flash Player. There are so many websites now that play videos on flash that it seems like a no-brainer. Several of the network TV stations have free streaming video on their websites. These would be perfect for the widescreen.

6. Built-in GPS app. I'm not sure if the new iPhone has this or now, but I know the Palm Pre does. I thought I read somewhere that the compass feature was so that you could get turn by turn directions.
  2. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1) 32G internal storage
    2) SDHC card slot
    3) Camera with focus and non digital zoom
    4) small user facing camera for video chat 2Mpix is fine for this
    5) Alarm volume separate from master volume
    6) GPS
    7) built in microphone
    8) FULL bluetooth support
    9) user replaceable battery
    10) most importantly, it should come with my own personal Jessica Alba clone.
  3. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    My remarks are in red and bold.

I would want my iPod touch to be thicker than it is now, it needs better battery, who cares about thickness at this point, it got as thick as it can. The back metal shouldn't be glossy, it should be anodized like the 1G iphone, it should have a camera, because that will apparently happen anyway, and it should be updated to the same speed as the 3Gs internally-wise, and it should come in colors like the nano because I would think that a red iPod touch would be kicka$$.
  4. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would love to see an iPod touch with a built in mic. Also possibly a 64GB.
  5. reaper00004

reaper00004 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    1. Must have at least a 300 hour battery life without increasing the battery size
    the rest can be the same

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate charging it

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I agree, anodized stainless steel back plate would kick ass and be a lil bit more durable than the aluminum one.

As far as the flash player, apple is doing just exactly like they should. for a flash player on the iphone/touch they are requiring it to be secure. Right now for a fully functioning flash player you open up the flood gates as the flash player has the ability to write to the system on most operating systems. You get into some complicated messy business with installing it via the app store as all flash installers currently require root privileges, and apple does not allow this via app instillation.

Incidentally, you can anodize the current back plate yourself for about 20 bucks.
  8. touch owner in AL

touch owner in AL Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I was thinking more of a phone than a touch when I said the internals of the new phone.

As for the camera, as well as everything else, is if you could start basically from scratch, what would you include/exclude. I'd want a 5.0 minimum camera. I know they have a 3.0 one now, but I'd like a little more so that the pics can be printed and look decent.

A card reader is a pipe dream. I know it probably won't happen for a while if it does, but I see other mp3 players that have these. My wife used to have a little RCA player many years ago that had a very tiny bit of internal memory, something like 256 MB, but it had the slot for SD cards. And with the microSD cards out now, they could probably find a slot to put one off on the side like most cell phones now have.

As for more pages for apps, I have a ton of games on mine. It isn't near being full yet, but I'd like the option. I was thinking more along the lines of large memory + more pages = app space and the card reader for music/videos/photos.

And I know Flash player is another pipe dream, but it would be nice since many websites stream.