[DEMO] iPhone Utilities (iPranks Backup Successor)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by crizh4x, Jan 2, 2009.

1. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iPhone Utilities v2.0​

Please Register or Log in to view images

So it's been a few months of delays and unkept promises.. I hope all of you will overlook that small detail as I present to you the next generation of backup software for your iPhone or iPod touch. Please take the time to read over all of this as much time and effort have been put into this application.

I'll just start out with the main screen of the application. There will be a few UI additions to make it more welcoming. Actually, they were already there, but all of my source code from the past two months has been deleted while attempting to setup my VMWare Virtual Machine. Most of that has already been rebuilt in a better working fashion that before.

As you can see, the implementation of the status label at the bottom gives you application status updates, or individual file backup progress. The implementation of the status grid (it has no official name as of this writing), provides us with status updates for entire jobs.

This second screen I'm showing is the backup utility itself. It shares many of the same concepts from the iPranks Backup Utility, except it's more organized and much much more user friendly.

The new features, as you can probably see, consist of tidiness and organization. For example, if you select an option in the list of backup options and it conflicts with other options, the other options are automatically removed from the list.

Screen three is what it is - a description of how backups are performed in this new environment. Please read it, you might enjoy.

Screen four is the second step of backing up. I didn't post an image of how you click what you want to back up because that would be a waste of server space. It shows how the backup folder is created with 4 random letters to prevent accidental overwrites.

The next screen may not seem like much at first sight, but it's innovation at work. Since we have no shell access and symlinks are not available over AFC, this special set of scripts is designed to make access to your device go without a fuss. Unfortunately this script must be ran anytime a new function is ran in order to prevent new additions such as applications and other files from harming your backup process.

Below is a nice example of the "Status Grid". The Status Grid gives the user a very nice, and well designed if I might add, view of all the scheduled jobs and what their status is. Any errors are simply shown and the color code is changed to red. A successful backup of the job is indicated by a blue color code and a "Completed" status. Beta testers agree, this feature is extremely nice to have.

Device Setup​

Device setup is something that every iPhone or iPod touch must go through before using iPhone Utilities. The setup itself is easy, but is the only time that SSH will be used in the application. This sets up the USB Execution System and it's controller app and a few miscellaneous things. the process only takes about a minute and a half or two minutes. The screens are largely self explanitory, so I'll just post them step by step.

Device Before setup

New Device Found

File Upload

Continues into next post....
  2. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Key acceptance and finishing up

Device After Setup

The USB Execution System Controller app

This app controls whether or not the USB Execution System is on or off. If you ever accidentally leave it on while it isn't being actively used, you'll know the definition of battery drainage. I've posted a screenshot (it is only one screen) as well just so you can get a feel for it.

I hope that this has given you a new glimpse into the very near future. The app, as it is, is not too far from release, I just need to complete and test backup restoration functions, which prove quite tricky when you can't just set permissions and ownership, etc. More info on that as I get there.

If you are interested in joining the beta program (my third, I believe) batch of testers has dwindled down to just a few people that I only occasionally get a chance to communicate with, please send me a PM. This project has been very interesting (even without the drama) and I think that once released, it will be useable by a LOT of people.

Thanks for reading,

Chris
  3. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    this is great!

I'm happy to be helping you out with the app =D

Can't wait until its officially released for everyone to use!
  4. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    There is no point in backing up music and videos... or applications for all the matter, this = useless, have you ever heard of itunes? because it automatically backs upeverything.
  5. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

It backs up all the cydia apps and stuff..
  6. iPodTouchHaxzor

iPodTouchHaxzor New Member

Do you just live to harshly criticize other people's work?
  7. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, while your infraction rate seems apparent, You are honestly wrong.

I'll explain.

iTunes does backup a few things, but it doesn't backup all of the jailbroken files that many people end up losing due to a restore. iTunes backups seem to get corrupted so that when people try to restore large backups in iTunes, it ends in some sort of failure.

Music and Video backup seems to be one of the largest requests I've ever seen. Sure, The Missing Link will provide a lot more functionality in this field, but when people come on here saying things like "My iTunes Library just got erased, I need my music back off my iPod", This is the solution. Sure there is DiskAid, which is great, but it isn't a one click solution.
  8. roboticos

roboticos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Awsome app man.
  9. micaheljcaboose

micaheljcaboose Well-Known Member

Looking good chris. I can't wait for the release.
  10. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks goes out to both of you.

I've been working pretty hard on it, I've been preoccupied getting other things taken care of (check the sig), but now I should have more time to get this thing out the door. Too bad all my latest source was deleted lol