Deleting Standard Applications

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CuddlyCombine, May 21, 2009.

1. CuddlyCombine

CuddlyCombine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi there.

If I could tell you how many times I've been told to just hold an app and press the X, I'd be here for a while. However, I'm more interested in getting rid of the basic apps that come with the iPhone; Stocks, Maps, and so forth. I don't use these, and I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about useless clutter.

So, anyone know how to delete these? I've tried going from the command line with Mobileterminal (see here), but that doesn't do anything; I've tried using the iPhoneBrowser desktop-side app, but it won't let me touch anything that's default. In other words, I'm stuck. Cydia doesn't seem to hold any answers, either.

I've got a 2G iPod Touch, jailbroken with redsn0w, and I'm on a PC. Any ideas? Is this even possible?
  2. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't think that they can be deleted. Personally, I have hidden the icons of those apps I don't want using SBSettings (jailbreak)
  3. CuddlyCombine

CuddlyCombine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tested out SBSettings, but my OCD wasn't appeased because the unused apps were wasting space. So, I tried browsing through with WinSCP, and bingo! I've erased everything but the music, photos and notes apps. Looks pretty.
  4. defleopard98

defleopard98 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope you backed them up, b/c if you didn't and you want them back, the only option is RESTORE!
  5. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I wish I was here earlier, I could have told you that they could be deleted via SSH.
    Possibly a user-uploaded copy of their app would work on his iPod if he ever felt the need to bring them back?
  6. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    ssh in and delete the .app folder. I did that for stocks.
  7. defleopard98

defleopard98 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Distributing copyrighted Apple code is illegal. But, whatever.. If you do, don't forget to change the permissions if you do.
  8. Sup3rsonic

Sup3rsonic New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SSH and delete them. I recommend jailbreaking, then install sbsettings and hide the apps you dont want for now. one day you may need them
  9. dualBang

dualBang New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just deleted the .app folders for a couple things, but they are still showing on my home screen?!?!
  10. PieOPah

PieOPah Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Did you re-spring?