Deleting 'leftover' jailbreak data.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orbane, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Orbane

Orbane New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey there. Long time reader, first time poster here.

I apologize if there has been a thread already asking this question, but i've searched countless times and found no one in the exact same situation as me.

I had my iPhone 3g jailbroken a few months ago (I believe on the 2.2.1 firmware, though not 100% sure) and upon the release of the 3.0 firmware, I updated straight from this. As surprised as I was, doing this did not delete any of my Music/Contacts etc. This was a plus for me as I am currently unable to access the computer containing all of my music (and the one the iPhone used to sync to)

However, along with all my other data remaining intact, I also have 492mb of 'Other' data being stored on my iPhone. I can only assume this is the leftover data from the jailbreak. This wasn't a problem until recently i've found my phone completely full, and could really use that extra 500mb.

So the question I am asking is: Is there any way for me to somehow 'Delete' this data. Keep in mind I do not have access to the PC with all my Music on, so a complete restore is not really an option here. I have access to a PC with iTunes on (which i'm currently using to add more music manually). As far as I know, the only way to do this under normal circumstances would be to SSH into the phone and delete it manually, but since i'm not jailbroken, I don't know how i'd go about this task, or if it's even possible.

Short Version: Is there any way for me to delete my old jailbreak data without a complete restore, keeping all data currently on the phone?

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan
  2. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    On a Mac you could try Independence.
    On a Windows PC you could try iPhonebrowser or iBrickr, preferably the latter.

Google is your friend.
  3. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First of all, thanks for using the Update button and purchasing the 3.0 firmware.
    I appreciate it.

As for deleting the leftover jailbreak data, you can try this:
    Jailbreak 3.0 using redsn0w 0.8
    Install Cydia.

Get Cydia all set up (Essential Upgrade), and then when you get it open after the restart, do this:
    On the bottom of Cydia, press MANAGE
    Select Packages

Scroll through and see if your old jailbreak applications show up on this list.

--------------------------

If they dont, I cant think of any other way than a DFU + Restore to erase your leftover jailbreak data.
  4. Systemfreak555

Systemfreak555 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have the exact same problem and I do not think DFU restore is the best idea for one reason. You are still restoring the iphone/ipod touch, and that is the one option that is not in the cards for you as for you cant access your backed up data on iTunes. So, basically I am just responding to this post, I do not have a solution. But I might try that ibrickr thing that was mentioned. Hope you find a way. If you do, please message me with the information on how to. Please, i have the same issue.
    Thank you
    CJ
  5. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    iPhone broswer lets you access all directorys with or without a jailbreak, so that method will work as long as he does it properly.