deleting files in root

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by davit, Dec 2, 2007.

1. davit

davit New Member

I am in need of "formating" my touch, i would like it back to how it was before i jailbrok it. i didnt upgrade it to 1.1.2 yet because itune doesnt recognize my touch...so i went on ssh and am about to delete ever file i see in the root....is it recommended??i attached a pic to show whats in the root on my ipod......whats there in unjailbroken ipode touch anyways??

and i downloaded the 1.1.2 update .ipsw file and i dont know what to do with it...it doesn't open with itune or does it update my ipode please help what do i do with it?? thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jadaar

Jadaar New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hold both the power button and the home button until the screen shuts off, then let go of the power button, only. Keep holding the home button until the itunes icon and a connector cable appear on your screen. Connect your ipod to your computer and open itunes. click on your ipod in itunes, then click restore. That will restore your ipod back to factory settings. No jailbreak, nothing. Just like brand new.
  3. davit

davit New Member

okey I tried doing that and my itune gave me option to restore and update... when i do that itune starts to download a firmware (which i think is 1.1.2) its about 157mb which takes ages to downlaod through itunes and usllay drops after a while.(and i have high speed connection).
    so i never get to get the update through itunes but i downloaded the update from another website. and when i try to open the ipsw file itune opens but it gets frozen again...so i don tknow whats wrong...
  4. shavey99

shavey99 New Member

itunes

sounds like an itunes or internet problem.
  5. Jadaar

Jadaar New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    @davit: If you already downloaded 1.1.2, then shift-click on restore. Find the 1.1.2 file wherever you have it saved, and select it. that ought to do it.
  6. davit

davit New Member

okey i made a progress on that...(i watched the 1.1.2 updating video and the guy does the update from already downloaded file..so shift+enter+click works) okey now its updated and the touch is 1.1.2...but the itune is still having hard time recognizing the ipod. it still tells me to update the touch and restore it because the only way i can make itune recognize the ipod is by getting in in restore mod(home button then plugging it in while its off) it went on to download the firmware and am stuck at the window i attached....on another computer my touch have name and shows up with all the details...
    i reinstalled itune 4 times so far and its not working for me.....it seems like some kind of recognition problem by my computer side.... so if you guys know where to check let me know...probably some kind of registry value deleting or something like that..thanks jadaar.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Jadaar

Jadaar New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I'm sorry, couldn't be of more help, but you're problem is now out of my league. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can help you from here. If nothing else works, I'm sure you could return it to apple. You've restored it already, so all history of the jailbreak is gone. Good luck!
  8. davit

davit New Member

new update!
    okey i just plugged in my girlfriends ipod nano and it worked perfectly on my computer right away......which brings the problem back to the touch.

i was wondering if you know the files and the structures of original or restored touch? i was thinking maybe i can go in through ssh and delete the rest of the stuff that might be still in the touch from the break and my installs..my touch is currently 1.1.2 and it looks restored to me, no installer or anything else....so i dont really know whats going on.....
  9. Fatfrank

Fatfrank New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  10. opsguy

opsguy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    davit,

Whatever you do, DO NOT use SSH and delete or change any files in your iPod Touch. A friend of mine did that and his iPod would no longer work and he had to return it.

I have been through the exact thing you are describing and there is a solution.

First I recommend downgrading to 1.1.1 firmware first. Then jailbreak it with jailbrekme.
    Now use Installer and install OKtoprep. Now you are ready to update to 1.1.2. To do this connect to itunes and click "Update" and let it proceed.

Now the next thing is important! Afterwards you may get the itunes will not connect to the Touch. This is normal after updating or restoring.
    First unplug your iPod and reboot it. Close itunes and reboot your PC. Afterwards you can plug in your iPod and everything should connect OK.