Defraging an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by brandomar1, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandomar1

brandomar1 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys, first time posting and i was wondering if it's possible to defrag the touch. Is defraging even necessary? Or does it have some magical function where it fixes itself?
  2. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

I don't thnk defragging is possible because firstly there's no option in iTunes, and secondly it doesn't allow disk use. I doubt the touch would have to be defragged - OSX (which is based off Unix) was designed to decrease the liklihood of fragmentation of files. Same goes for NTFS or any other Unix/Linux base filesystems.

So in short, no you can't. Maybe with third party software in the future, But why? OSX wont frag up like crazy, and it won't slow down.
  3. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The only way I know of to defrag does require disk mode to be enabled, though OSX does decrease the likelihood, there are still defragmentation apps. I know there are repair commands on SSH and there is perhaps a way to do it through it, but for now, there really isn't.
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    There's no hard disk. The touch has flash memory. And stated before, it runs on OSX.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.