Definative "Brickage" Guide

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Brewstermax, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm nearly fed up with all the posts about bricking. It is getting annoying, so I've decided to take all that I know, and all that you all know, and lay this out there for the n00bs who claim to brick their iPods.

Battery dies: This is the most common issue. To solve this, plug it into a wall charger. Very cheap to get one, and once it is sufficiently charged, plug it into a computer and DFU mode it. Words of warning: I don't know if the overcharge stop is still on if it is like this, so just laying that out there.

Stuck at White Screen: Also very common. Plug it in. If it isn't recognized, please restart the computer, and unplug and replug the iPod. Also retry putting it into DFU mode. Some people say that DFU recommendations are too long, and to try 7-7 count, not 10-10.

Black Screen, no recognition: Once more, restart the computer, and unplug in the iPod. If this doesn't work the first time, keep trying. Also try other computers, and charging it in a wall charger, first.

General advice: If you have no clue what to do with it, but it is recognized by the computer, please restore to unjailbroken firmware and try the whole jailbreak again. It is better overall, and may be the best solution.

Did I miss anything? If I did, just tell me, and I'll fix it.
  2. WhightKnight

WhightKnight Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea, what is it called when your iPod IS RECOGNIZED, CAN NOT be factory restored (due to error 1601), DOES NOT turn on, and you are 100% it IS IN DFU mode?
  3. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Make sure you have the latest itunes
  4. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    are you trying to restore to a stock firmware??
  5. Jaikob

Jaikob New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    To get past the 1601 error, you need to put your ipod into DFU, send the normal iBSS, then send redsn0w. After that go into itunes and restore. Will work flawlessly.

You do not need a wall charger? I drained mine to test it, and I could indeed grab a charge from my computer.
  6. sirjonofun

sirjonofun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    These "you can't brick an ipod" threads are starting to get a little out of hand as well. No matter how many times you say you can't do it some n00b is going to post and say "oh yeah, well look at mine. i'm sure it's bricked" (see post a few posts above for proof). These threads are doing nothing but clogging up an already messy website. The best solution I can come up with is a filter we can use so that users, especially non 2g users, can block out the redsn0w section.
  7. mkptrzk

mkptrzk New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Black Screen, no recognition: Once more, restart the computer, and unplug in the iPod. If this doesn't work the first time, keep trying. Also try other computers, and charging it in a wall charger, first.

This is what i have..But my battery didnt die..I tried to install winterboard and it went black...

Please Register or Log in to view images

...Not sure what to do now...
  8. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's called shift+restore. Browse for original firmware. GENIUS.
  9. lwierd

lwierd New Member

I'm sorry if I'm making anyone upset, but I have the black screen on my iPod, and I keep trying to put it into DFU mode, but the computer just keeps saying "malfunctioned hardware" and iTunes won't recognize it. I already restarted my computer, I've run a program that told me my iPod was "turned off, or not bootable", and my battery was almost fully charged when it happened. Please Help!
  10. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Has anyone actually bricked their 2g yet?