Review Defender Chronicles (Chillingo)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by studangerous, Jun 11, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

_______Introduction ________________________________________

Respected publisher Chillingo and developers Gimka Entertainment and Menara Games dropped a new RPG styled tower defense game into our hands a few days ago and, despite some early brow raising at how linear and simple it looked, after playing it for the last few days it's turns out it's a real peach of a game and I'm hooked! In fact it took me longer than expected to write this review as I was too busy playing it! It's currently $2.99 for the launch week so grab it before it gets priced back up to $4.99!

Opening credits, title & 'how to play'

Part side scrolling 2D tower defense game, part quest-laden RPG by nature of its items and upgrades, Defender Chronicles places you as a warlord charged with protecting the Athelian empire from the Orc King, Barrug, and his minions. You'll try and hold off the invaders over five distinct multi-tiered levels by building upgradeable guilds for your archers, knights, ranger, halflings and mages to protect Athelia from the marauding orcs and other assorted nasties.

_______The Good___________________________________________

The Athelian Empire, associated menus & loadout screens

The orc army comprises a plethora of different minions and bosses with various strengths, weaknesses and abilities. The strategy for success lies in anticipating the enemy's early force makeup so you can balance your defenses between knights and archers and make correct guild placement to soak up the early attacks. After that it's a case of building on the early defense and strategically upgrading your guilds as fast as you earn gold from enemy kills. Your last line of defense is your hero, who's not much help early on until you build up his level and equipment.

If you don't believe me, watch the video!

If successful, at the end of each level you unlock a new area, new upgrades, new difficulty levels and new game modes. Whether you succeed or not, you'll be rewarded with some of the local currency, Imperial tokens. With this you can buy new kit for your hero from the Trade Shop, including weapon and armor load-outs and bonus items to help defeat the harder levels. You can also spend your hard earned cash in the Great Library on game unlocks such as bonus music tracks, special levels and more new game modes. It's this upgrading that really extends the replay value, making you go back and play earlier levels again to earn more coin and further level up your hero for the more difficult battles. I've never really strayed out of easy/normal in other tower defense games but I'm already looking toward the higher difficulty levels in Defender Chronicles.

high score madness in a custom 'extended' game

The controls are responsive and generally easy to use, though the three tap guild level up process may have some thumbs aching after a long session and I did find myself building archer guilds instead of knights from time to time due to my fat fingers. The 2d graphics are decent: well designed and fairly detailed. It's a sleekly programmed little app and I experienced no lag, crashes or glitches on my jailed iPhone 3G. The menus and interface are near perfect and gorgeous to look at.

_______The Bad____________________________________________

The audio content is bountiful but, unfortunately, the voice acting is pretty dire. It's obvious that the English language version was voiced by non-native speakers so pronunciation of many words and phrases is painful. There's just no flow to the narrative and it's spoken in such a monotone that it feels as though they are simply reading from a script - which of course they are, but it shouldn't feel like that. In game the voices are less grinding but very repetitive. The background music is a rather dull looped fantasy theme, though as I mentioned earlier you can purchase bonus tracks in game. After a few games I couldn't stand it any more and turned off speech and music, which thankfully is an option. In a nutshell, there's lots of audio content but they could have done it a lot better.

_______The Ugly ___________________________________________

a selection of some of your adversaries

Useful links:

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Very detailed review. I expected just as much from a staff review ;D

Thanks for reminding me to buy it btw.
  3. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hey Stu, Where can i get my hands on the PSD for this

It would help a lot with my reviews.

Attached Files:

4. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I use an xcf GIMP file but if you PM Abcmsaj he has a similar psd
  5. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Cool, thanks.

And an Awesome review!
  6. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks and just to highlight again to everyone "It's currently $2.99 for the launch week so grab it before it gets priced back up to $4.99!"
  7. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great review. I loved how you got a picture of all the creatures and put them all into one picture. The headings were nice and you even added some nice little captions under the picture. Good work Stu!
  8. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Stealing that idea nao.
  9. Uniquedot

Uniquedot New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Epic game. Simply one of the best tower defense games out there!

Great review

10. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have no original ideas

so I must have nabbed it from somewhere