Decent timer app

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by jabbado, Jul 17, 2010.

1. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm looking for a good customizable timer/alarm app for 3.1.3. Something that lets you create custom countdown timers and save them. Basically the same sort of functionality as Fishbone Studios Clock Pro, but which doesn't require iOS4. It must also notify when the device is in sleep mode. Does anything like this exist, either paid/free and/or requiring a JB? I've found a few in the app store but none seem to work while backgrounded or in sleep mode.
  2. ChicagoSoftware

ChicagoSoftware New Member

Prior to iOS4 it's hard to do "alarm" type things because there is no multi-tasking (except for the built-in Apple stuff which is allowed to multi-task.) Which means if the phone is sleeping - it's not getting up short of a "push" notification.

It's a lot easier now with iOS4, but you have to do some re-writing of your app to support the multi-tasking.

Why not just use the built-in "timer" function?

-Walter

p.s. "Sleep" mode where you hit the power button in the upper right is technically different than the screen going black to save power while your app is running. So there could be an app that looks like it is asleep but is really still running - which sounds like what you want - no?
  3. jabbado

jabbado New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That explains it then. I was wondering why no app existed to do this when the built-in timer can wake the device.

Sure I could use the built-in timer but I require several timers to be running concurrently.

Guess I'll just wait for the iOS4 JB then upgrade.