Dead Screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kevu, Oct 21, 2007.

1. kevu

kevu New Member

Part of the screen is not responding when I touch it, if I use Sketch, I will notice there one row of area that cannot be sketch, in other words, will part of the touchscreen just dead? Anyway to recover it? I've searched through this forum but yet find the answers to my question, please assist, thank you
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dead pixels maybe. What week is your touch?
  3. kevu

kevu New Member

No, it's not dead pixel, here is the situation, I bought Ipod Touch 2 days back, the serial number starts with 1B, this problem cause me not able to click on the screen, example like clicking on virtual keyboard or some applications, I did all the things like force reset, restored, uninstall Itunes, uninstall Apple mobile device, you name it. The only thing that solve the problem for the first time was when I remove the screen protector and wipe the screen, everything works fine. I pasted back the screen protector, everything's fine. After few hours, the problem occurs again, but this time round, I can't solve it even by removing the screen protector or wiping the glass. 1st situation solved is in before jailbreak, 2nd situation cannot be solved after jailbroke.
  4. nemo66

nemo66 New Member

Take a look here:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4035

On my IPT there seems to be a whole vertical row of sensors that are NOT WORKING.
    Interesting thing is that the first 2or 3 hours of usage it was functioning.
    Same thing as you described, after installing summerboard the IPT acted strange (started apps from itself) and after an restore i canĀ“t use letters on the virtual keyboard as described in my post.

My question on proofs was/is:
    -can it be repaired via software?
  5. flash84x

flash84x New Member

wow, that sucks, i would restore and see if the area is still dead, if so exchange it for a new one!
  6. kevu

kevu New Member

I changed a new set, brought it back to the shop and they changed it straight away after 'no solution'.
  7. kdm

kdm New Member

This happened to me, but I noticed it almost as soon as I began to use it.
    You did the right thing getting it replaced, because it is a hardware fault.
    I got mine replaced.
  8. tonybyrne

tonybyrne New Member

Similar Issue

Hi,

I have run into a similar issue with my week 38 16Gb iPod Touch. I have a troublesome area towards the top of the screen that doesn't register touches properly. Simple actions like launching Safari or using the slider to turn the unit off work only intermittently. I noticed that I could get them to work if I touched another area of the screen first before touching the icon / slider. Frankly it's a pain in the a55.

The problem first arose about 3 weeks after I bought it. I contacted Apple support who sent out some return packaging and I shipped it back to them. However, they can't seem to reproduce the problem and are shipping it back to me :-(

I'd leave it back to the store for replacement but I bought it while in London and won't be back there in the near future.
  9. potter_pwns

potter_pwns New Member

I got a week 38 too, it was working fine until it got white-screened and the whole screen died.
    Got a new week 40 one at the Apple store.
  10. nemo66

nemo66 New Member

Solved (new one)

It is/was faulty hardware (touchscreen).
    Sended back and just got a new one (week 38).
    Works fine since 2 days.
    Hope it will last...